Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
james2517
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased 4ea of the Arlo AVD1001-100NAS because I have 4 exterior doors on my house. I want to replace my existing wired Skybells because they are not reliable and plus I have Arlo Essential Wireless Spotlight cameras and wanted everything to be Arlo. My chime box is a traditional one with 3 screws, Front/Rear/Trans. I have 2 of my Skybells hooked to Front, and 2 hooked to rear. With Skybell, there were no power kits needed. With the Arlo doorbells, a power kit is required for each Arlo doorbell. It's not a problem to hook 4 of those to Trans, but the other wire that should go to Front or Rear has me stumped. Once I hook up my first 2 power kits, can I also hook the additional power kits to Front and Rear for the other doors, or would 1 power kit work for 2 doorbells?  Could I remove one of the wires from the screw to Front/Rear and just wirenut it to one of the power kit wires? I have a 24V 40Va transformer so I know it will handle 4 doorbells since it already does, I am just unsure exactly what to do as far as the power kits. I don't want to mess anything up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
james2517
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your time!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@james2517 wrote:

Once I hook up my first 2 power kits, can I also hook the additional power kits to Front and Rear for the other doors, or would 1 power kit work for 2 doorbells?  Could I remove one of the wires from the screw to Front/Rear and just wirenut it to one of the power kit wires?

The purpose of the powerkit is to divert the power used by the doorbell around the chime (since the chime is not intended to carry current all the time).

Putting two powerkits on the same circuit probably won't work.  So I'd use just one.  If the chime doesn't buzz or ring when the doorbells aren't pressed, then you should be ok.

Another option is to exchange two (or all) of the AVD1001s for AVD2001s.  They trickle charge from the circuit, and don't need a powerkit.

james2517
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much. I'll try it with one power kit like you suggested. I was trying to stick with wired since I already have a wired system. I also didn't want to have to worry about charging it. I have solar panels for my Arlo cameras so I wouldn't have to charge them.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@james2517 wrote:

I also didn't want to have to worry about charging it. 

The AVD2001 will trickle-charge its battery from the transformer power, so that is not a concern.

There are a few important differences though:

• The AVD2001 does not yet support homekit (though Arlo said it was coming a long time ago).
  • It doesn't have the foresight feature
  • The motion detection range is shorter (often a good thing, since the doorbell can't be aimed).
  • It supports lower voltages (down to 8 volts, instead of 16).

It is also somewhat thicker than the AVD1001.

james2517
Aspirant
Aspirant

That's good information. My transformer is 24v so I'd have to get an additional one and put in my attic. Also, I like the size of these wired ones. Let me ask you this, if on those other 2 doors, I just put a traditional doorbell, would that work ok? I really don't need a video doorbell on 2 of the doors. Remember, my issue is I have 2 doors tied to front and rear terminals. I've only replaced 1 Skybell with Arlo but plan on doing the others over the weekend. Thanks 😁

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@james2517 wrote:

That's good information. My transformer is 24v so I'd have to get an additional one and put in my attic.

The AVD1001 spec is 16-24v, the AVD2001 spec is 8-24v

@james2517 wrote:

Let me ask you this, if on those other 2 doors, I just put a traditional doorbell, would that work ok?

Yes.

james2517
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your time!

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation