Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wired Video Doorbell with Existing Door Chime is it really only providing power - UK customer

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rgbainbridge
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi I bought the Wired version of the Video Doorbell because; 1/ I didn't want to keep re-charging any batteries and 2/ I wanted the bell to ring as well as video if i was at home or the wifi was down etc. I am now on my 2nd Electrician trying to wire this up for me but it seems that;

1. I can have have the Video Doorbell fed power from the existing chime but only if I install the included transformer to up the voltage to 24v.
  2. Having installed the transformer I cant now use the existing bell (8v Transformer integrated into bell as is common in the UK) because it's not rated for 24v
  3. I could replace the existing Chime with one with a 24V transformer but you cant get those in the UK - or at least I haven't found one.
  4. If i could find a Chime with a 24V transformer the Arlo App wont allow the Video to be silenced without silencing the bell

I wanted to check I had understood all this correctly and ask if anybody had managed to wire up the video door bell to an existing Chime in the UK and make it work correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rgbainbridge wrote:
I assume powering the wireless model is an option?

Yes - see the first answer here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062526/Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wire-Free-FAQ

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

An AVD2001 might work better for you, since it is compatible with an 8 volt transformer.  The battery should trickle-charge from the transformer.

A more complicated solution (which I think someone in the UK came up with) is to use a 24 volt tranformer to drive the Arlo, but then connect a relay instead of the chime.  The relay would engage when the doorbell is pressed, and that would close the 8 volt circuit to the existing chime.

rgbainbridge
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for replying so to be clear I need to buy the wireless video door bell to wire it up to a UK chime?

I assume powering the wireless model is an option? It simply never occurred to me not to buy the wired version as wanted to power it!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rgbainbridge wrote:
I assume powering the wireless model is an option?

Yes - see the first answer here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062526/Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell-Wire-Free-FAQ

rgbainbridge
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip I swapped the wired doorbell for the wireless one and it works a treat with the existing wired chime + the 6v doorbell power trickle charges the battery.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation