Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wired Essential Video Doorbell LED circle of lights is red

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
gualdo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I purchased an Arlo Wired Essential Video Doorbell in March.  It's been working perfectly.  Yesterday, we had Verizon tech people here because we were having problems with our wifi.  They had to replace the router, so now we have a new wifi name and password.  I had to reset the doorbell.  When I pushed the reset button with the tool they gave us, the circle of LED lights did not start blinking white.  They are red, not blinking or anything.  I saw it flash white for a second or less, but then it turned red again.  I have tried resetting it at least 6 times, but the same thing keeps happening.

My husband shut off the breaker to the doorbell and left it off for a minute or more.  When he turned it back on, we tried resetting, but the same thing happened.  He disconnected the wires to it, and retightened them as he put it back together.  Then we tried resetting, but nothing changed.  He tried again with the wires, but the same thing happened.  In addition, the doorbell does not chime when we press the button on the front.  The chime hasn't worked since I attempted to reset the first time yesterday.

I contacted support through chat and email, and he gave me the idea to shut off the breaker, but other than that they have not been any help at all.  I haven't heard from them since yesterday around 6 pm..  

If anyone has any ideas or a solution, we would greatly appreciate it!  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gualdo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello StephenB,

We have removed the power kit, and we took off the wires and wired it again, and now the chime is working.  Thank you so much for your time and help!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you remove the doorbell from your account?  If you didn't, then do that next.

FWIW, the simplest option would have been to change the wifi network name/password to match the old setup.  Definitely possible (I use Verizon Fios myself).

gualdo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the doorbell has been removed from our account.  That was something the chat person instructed us to do.  We have tried resetting since then, but the circle of lights remains red.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Although it often looks red, I think it is considered to be amber.

I think this means that the doorbell isn't receiving enough power.  Do you have a way to measure that (a voltmeter)?

Per the article, you might try temporarily putting the powerkit into bypass mode, and see if that helps.

gualdo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

We bought a multimeter and just checked the voltage on the doorbell wires and it is barely registering 12 volts.  It looks like the doorbell needs at least 16 volts to work properly, from what I am reading.  So we aren't getting enough power?  What's strange is everything was working perfectly for months, so how could that happen?  

We really appreciate that you have been taking the time to respond.  We are truly the lowest-tech people you'll ever meet!

gualdo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

We decided to purchase a wire-free video doorbell since it needs less voltage.  We charged the battery and installed it, using the option of also wiring it.  I was able to sync it, and now it records and does what the previous doorbell was doing.  But we still have one issue, the chime is not ringing when the doorbell button is pressed.  We are using the chime we have in our home, which is what we had been using with the previous wired doorbell.  If you have any suggestions, we would appreciate it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gualdo wrote:

Hi StephenB,

We decided to purchase a wire-free video doorbell since it needs less voltage.  We charged the battery and installed it, using the option of also wiring it.  I was able to sync it, and now it records and does what the previous doorbell was doing.  But we still have one issue, the chime is not ringing when the doorbell button is pressed.  We are using the chime we have in our home, which is what we had been using with the previous wired doorbell.  If you have any suggestions, we would appreciate it.

What is the manufacturer/model of the chime?

Did you remove the powerkit?

gualdo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello StephenB,

We have removed the power kit, and we took off the wires and wired it again, and now the chime is working.  Thank you so much for your time and help!

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation