Arlo Wired Doorbell will not connect to my home EERO mesh wifi network

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello, I cannot get my new Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell to connect to my home's EERO mesh wifi network. Or, more appropriately, I should say that during the "Add a Device" process on the Arlo Secure app, the app CLAIMS that the doorbell cannot be found yet on my wifi user interface, the doorbell actually DOES show up and is assigned an IP address, and has a good signal strength (-36 dB). So the problem is not with my wifi system. Here is what I have tried:

1/ set my EERO wifi to 2.4ghz only

2/ I made sure my phone was also only operating on 2.4ghz frequency with my wifi

3/ I got my EERO technical support on the phone and they supported for an hour as we tried to install the doorbell. The wifi technician even tried several specific settings such as DNS and turning off WPA3, but nothing she did worked.

4/ I reset the doorbell and used the Arlo app to walk through the "Add a Device"

5/ The Arlo app continues to say "No doorbells were found" despite the fact that my EERO wifi shows the device name as connected (AVD1001), with an assigned IP address and strong signal.

Anyone else have this issue ? I would welcome any help or advice. I have a case open with Arlo and I am trying to establish a 3-way phone call with myself, Arlo technical support and my EERO wifi technical support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Hoowah, yes I was successful in on-boarding my 3 Pro 4 cameras and wired doorbell to my Eero Mesh Wifi system and it has worked great for 3 months now.  Here are the steps I took to get it to work:

1/ Created a guest network on my home wifi network; steps as follows: 1/ opened the Eero app on my phone; 2/ went to Settings and turned on 'Guest network' (mine was defaulted off) and gave it a name.

2/  Switched my phone connection to the new Guest network.

3/  Put the wifi into 2.4 ghz only mode; steps as follows: 1/ in the Eero app go to Settings then Troubleshooting; 2/ click on "My device won't connect"; 3/ click on "My device is 2.4 Ghz only" to active 2.4 Ghz signal only.  You get 15 minutes of this mode before it reverts to both 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz again.

4/ Now I quickly went through the camera connection process.  With these changes the cameras were able to sync to the Guest network right away.  Note that my cameras all needed firmware update but all this was able to be completed within the 15 minutes.

Now my Eero mesh wifi operated normally (both 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz).  The Arlo cameras are all on the Guest network and all the other devices in my house are on the main network, and I haven't had any trouble since.   Let me know if you are successful with this approach.

Ron

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

I happened to come across another post which appears to be the same issue from a different user (link below). I don't see any solution and unfortunately there is no ability to actually get a live person from Arlo on the phone to help.

Trouble connecting to Eero mesh network - Arlo Community

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Here's a possible help:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062764/What-to-do-when-Arlo-is-unable-to-discover-your-device-during-installa...

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Arlo-doorbell-won-t-connect-to-eero/td-p/1844720

There have also been solutions such as adding a WiFi extender for the camera to connect to as well as turning off the eero Secure Advanced Security.

Hoowah
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did you ever resolve this? Having the same issue and the solutions in other posts haven’t worked for me. Worked through the exact same steps as you laid out here before I stumbled in your post. TIA!

Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Hoowah, yes I was successful in on-boarding my 3 Pro 4 cameras and wired doorbell to my Eero Mesh Wifi system and it has worked great for 3 months now.  Here are the steps I took to get it to work:

1/ Created a guest network on my home wifi network; steps as follows: 1/ opened the Eero app on my phone; 2/ went to Settings and turned on 'Guest network' (mine was defaulted off) and gave it a name.

2/  Switched my phone connection to the new Guest network.

3/  Put the wifi into 2.4 ghz only mode; steps as follows: 1/ in the Eero app go to Settings then Troubleshooting; 2/ click on "My device won't connect"; 3/ click on "My device is 2.4 Ghz only" to active 2.4 Ghz signal only.  You get 15 minutes of this mode before it reverts to both 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz again.

4/ Now I quickly went through the camera connection process.  With these changes the cameras were able to sync to the Guest network right away.  Note that my cameras all needed firmware update but all this was able to be completed within the 15 minutes.

Now my Eero mesh wifi operated normally (both 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz).  The Arlo cameras are all on the Guest network and all the other devices in my house are on the main network, and I haven't had any trouble since.   Let me know if you are successful with this approach.

Ron

JazzGuitarist
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ron's solution of connecting the Arlo to the Eero Guest Network worked great! I tried a ton of other things before finding this. Can we please mark this thread as solved? I tried forcing my Eero to just 2.4 on the main network and something similar with my phone laptop, and this combination Ron just shared is the only thing that worked.

Thanks, Ron!

Ron-R
Apprentice
Apprentice

So good to hear this is working for others !  😊

foxy0614
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just want to add on incase somone had same issue as me. 

I also have a eero router and wasn't able to connect my new doorbell at all.

Only coming across this thread did I managed to fix my issue. Only difference between me and @Ron-R was I already had a guest network set up. Had to change the SSID and password whilst disabling the 5 Ghz channel.

From there connected to the guest from my phone and its worked ever since.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation