Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell with "portable" door chimes

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
go4875
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello everyone

I am deciding on purchasing the Video Doorbell. In watching the installation video, the video shows that one piece connects to the house doorbell chime. Our house is pretty old and the chime has never worked when we purchased the house. We are now using those "portable" door chimes that plugs into an outlet. 

Will the video doorbell still work?

Thanks everyone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The video door bell needs 16 to 24v ac.  You prob will not get this from one of the portable bell units.

Usu, the front doorbell is hardwired to an ac transformer ( which you may still have even if the old bell doesn't work )

Check the wiring to see if you can find it and check for voltage...

Even if just the front door bell wires are still there... they do sell ac bell transformers and even portable plug in units.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062324/How-do-I-measure-the-voltage-of-my-doorbell-transformer

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The video door bell needs 16 to 24v ac.  You prob will not get this from one of the portable bell units.

Usu, the front doorbell is hardwired to an ac transformer ( which you may still have even if the old bell doesn't work )

Check the wiring to see if you can find it and check for voltage...

Even if just the front door bell wires are still there... they do sell ac bell transformers and even portable plug in units.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062324/How-do-I-measure-the-voltage-of-my-doorbell-transformer

Morse is faster than texting!
go4875
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI TomMac

thanks for the reply. That is what I have. It's a portable unit, but plugs into an ac outlet. I will see if I can check on the unit that plugs into the outlet and make that work

THanks

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation