Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell not recording motion events

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Our video doorbell is not recording events based on motion detection. If the doorbell button is pushed it records all the video before, during, and after the button push, and sends a push notification instantly. The doorbell is connected through a VMB4540 Smart Hub Base Station. On the "Mode" page the base station is set to "Armed". If I click the arrow next to Armed it shows it is armed with one rule: "If Motion on Dooorbell" [Edit]. If I click on Edit it displays the rule as: Doorbell, motion is detected, do the following: Record video. And under "How would you like to be notified" "Push Notification" is checked.

We NEVER get notifications or video recordings based on ANY motion in front of the doorbell. We only get video recordings and notifications when the doorbell button is pushed. 

It used to record video on motion and also send push notifications just fine. I don't know exactly when it stopped, but we have not changed anything setting-wise or in any other way since we installed it.. 

I went through all the settings and confirmed the activity zone is basically the entire frame, motion sensitivity is set to 90%.

On the Mode page under the list of "My Devices" why is the Base Station listed instead of the Doorbell (see pic)? Whereas on the Devices page it lists all of my devices?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

This one definitely came with 1-year of free Smart Service (that was part Arlo's deal selling through Costco). I just did "remove device" on the Doorbell, re-added it, and now it's detecting motion and storing to the cloud no problem, so thanks for that suggestion.. I bought the camera in December 2020, and the app also confirms service extends through December 2021.

Maybe at the end of the year it will be worth doing the $3/month just for the doorbell. But I should be good for a while now..

Thanks again for responding.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have a subscription active for the doorbell? Have you rebooted your hub? Have you created a custom mode with the proper settings to see if that works? You may need to remove and resync the doorbell.

The hub is shown under the Mode card since you may have multiple hubs or cameras that don't use a hub. Each hub has its own set of devices and modes/rules so the separation is needed in more complex situations.

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't have a smart plan subscription. I completely did not realize or understand that the smart plan would be required for any amount of cloud storage. I understood that without a subscription it would act like my other cameras and provide a limited amount of recordings. I hit 3months about a week ago which seems to coincide with this happening. Also I realized that doorbell button pushes have recently only been alerting my phone and no longer storing the videos- so I guess that is the main issue.

I just connected a 128GB USB SSD to the base station. The device settings for the base station in the app are set to Record Locally(on), Storage Status(Ready), Best Local Recording(ON), Overwrite Local Recording(On), Direct Storage Access(On). The Storage Status sub menu reports Local Storage Status "Good", and Available Storage 27.62MB used of 114.64GB.

I just tried ringing the bell, and in the Library on the app when I switch from Cloud to Base Station I get the message "Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check your connection settings.". Bot the base station and the device I am accessing it from are on the same local WiFi network.

I created a new custom rule for the base station to record doorbell video on motion detection and now it activates on motion. And on the push notification to my device I am able to playback the video so I *think* it is being recorded. However the Library is still giving me that message when I try to view Local Storage.

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Actually I DO currently have Smart Service! Under Devices->Doorbell it says Smart Service ends December 24, 2021. Which makes sense because looking back through all the material that came with it- it came with one year of free service (purchased through Costco).

So now I am 100% confused as to why it will not detect motion and will not record anything. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure the doorbell is included in your plan - they only come with a 3 month trial, not one year (the Ultra cameras came with 1 year trials since it was a big switch from the previous 7 day free plan). You can tell what cameras are included by managing cameras in the Subscription section in Settings.

Try using a 16GB or greater thumb drive rather than the SSD - maybe there's a compatibility issue.

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

This one definitely came with 1-year of free Smart Service (that was part Arlo's deal selling through Costco). I just did "remove device" on the Doorbell, re-added it, and now it's detecting motion and storing to the cloud no problem, so thanks for that suggestion.. I bought the camera in December 2020, and the app also confirms service extends through December 2021.

Maybe at the end of the year it will be worth doing the $3/month just for the doorbell. But I should be good for a while now..

Thanks again for responding.

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Regarding the local storage I am using a USB thumb drive (128GB) I just referred to is as "SSD" out of habit. The VMB4540 only has a USB port. Now that my doorbell is recording to the cloud again, can it also simultaneously record to the local storage?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. Recordings to both locations should be simultaneous.

cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, it was storing motion activated recordings to both the cloud and the local storage fine for a few days. Then on March 12 I decided to remove the local USB storage on the hub since I really want only cloud recordings. The app indicated that local storage mode was disabled after I removed the USB thumb drive, so I figured all would be good. But since then the doorbell has failed to store any recording. I do still get push notifications when the button is pushed on the doorbell- but the video for those events is not stored. And I am not even getting push notifications for motion events. I tried setting up a new custom rule to record on motion and still no luck. According to the Settings->Subscription page my doorbell service is active through 12/24/2021.

The doorbell responds correctly when I try the motion detection test in the app. Should I try removing/reconnecting the doorbell (again)?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation