Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell does not automatically reconnect to wifi

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Matthew_S
Initiate
Initiate
My Arlo Video Doorbell does not automatically reconnect to wifi whenever there is a drop in internet (whether that be for any reason: power surge/outage, resetting the router, etc..). The app tells me "Device is offline" and "Your doorbell is not connected. Make sure it has a working internet connection." My doorbell is about 10-15 feet away from my router and I am currently writing this on my fully functional wifi. In order for me to reconnect my doorbell, I need to completely remove the device from the app, pull it off the wall outside, push the small button on the back, re-sync the device as if it were brand new. This also takes a significant amount of time to even find the doorbell and finally get up and running, if it even works the first time.. There is an option to "change network" in the app, but that still requires me to pull the doorbell off the wall outside and push that button on the back. Even then, that method hasn't been successful for me yet.

Why does it seem as if the doorbell loses connection, more specifically the internet goes out for a split second, it will give up and not try to reconnect again? Every other device I own knows to automatically reconnect, no matter what issue.

Can we please fix what should be common sense for the device to iteratively try to reconnect to wifi until it succeeds, or at least provide an option in the app to try reconnecting without requiring me to take the doorbell off the wall and use that tiny key to press the small button.
5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Matthew_S,

Was this a one time issue or are you still experiencing this behavior?

JamesC

dano1769
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. It worked great for a month or so then my doorbell wanted to update the firmware and it did not after no matter what I try. Arlo has sent me a new Doorbell and the same thing happened. I asked if it would have the latest firmware and was told yes. Installed the new Doorbell and it worked for a few minutes before forcing me to install the new firmware and now it hasn't since. VERY frustrating!  

Matthew_S
Initiate
Initiate
Hi JamesC,

The problem has appeared to be pretty consistent. I know for sure after the events I mentioned (ie power outage, resetting router, etc...), the problem is consistent on not reconnecting. I will need to reset and pair my doorbell after each of those occurrences. It's hard to tell if it ever disconnects under any other circumstances and reconnects automatically (ie the doorbell simply loses connection for a minute), but I have not noticed that yet, so I can't say that for sure.

Appreciate any help. Thank you.
dano1769
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. It worked great for a month or so then my doorbell wanted to update the firmware and it did not after no matter what I try. Arlo has sent me a new Doorbell and the same thing happened. I asked if it would have the latest firmware and was told yes. Installed the new Doorbell and it worked for a few minutes before forcing me to install the new firmware and now it hasn't since. VERY frustrating!  

PaulJH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I fitted the DoorBell it decided it was warming up and yet the outside temperature was 11C so not exactly freezing.  Please to say it got through that but after a few hours it then lost Wifi.  I had the go through from the start to get it working again.

It was fine over night and dropped out of WiFi again today, two days and two outages!

It does not seem to reconnect when there is an outage which is a standard by which all other WiFi devices normally operate.  The loss of a WiFi connection for a short period is not unusual so most devices reconnect as soon as they find a signal but it seems the Arlo Video Doorbell does not do that.  Why is it happening, is it a design fault and what can be done about it because it is useless when it is not working. 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation