Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell chime is not working

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
DustinWilliams
Tutor
Tutor

I installed the Arlo video doorbell and it does not trigger the mechanical chime. The doorbell worked fine before installation and the doorbell is working fine otherwise. Need some help, I know there was a bug in the previous version that didn't include video. All I added was the white piece that the instructions said to the old chime box.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DustinWilliams
Tutor
Tutor
A big thank you to everyone for the help. There was a lot I didn’t know. I didn’t know what a transformer was to decrease the power down to low voltage, I didn’t know where it was and it was a little intimidating at first. Once I found everything and understood what it all did, everything is up and running after replacing the transformer. Thanks for all the help, I switched it to a new 16v, that was all Home Depot had.

Cheers, Dustin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

@DustinWilliams,

the Video Doorbell may require a stronger transformer than is currently installed on your chime. Check the voltage or look for specs for the current transformer and replace if it is not up to the Arlo specs.

Meanwhile, the small power adapter that attaches to the chime wiring has a switch on it. You may need to switch the position to Bypass or remove it entirely. It would be better if the adapter is installed, but I have read about people simply removing it with no adverse effects.

Brian

DustinWilliams
Tutor
Tutor
I removed the 2 wire piece as recommended and everything worked for 2 days. Then the chime started going off on its own while I was out of town. I asked my daughter to disconnect the wires for the chime so they could sit in the house. Got an alert that the battery was running down and now nothing works as I’ve returned home and hooked everything back up. Not sure what to do.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DustinWilliams wrote:
 I asked my daughter to disconnect the wires for the chime so they could sit in the house. Got an alert that the battery was running down and now nothing works as I’ve returned home and hooked everything back up. Not sure what to do.

Wait a bit and see if the batteries charge (perhaps also reconnect the power module if that isn't connected).

What is the voltage and VAC for the your doorbell transformer?

ncoulet73
Guide
Guide
@DustinWilliams, I had a similar issue and followed @brh 's suggestion.
I tested the transformer used for the chime and identified it was only getting 12V. Arlo requires 16V to 24V to operate properly.
I changed the transformer and put one with a transformer that could do 8V, 16V or 24V. I set it to 24V and now the chime works perfectly well.
DustinWilliams
Tutor
Tutor
A big thank you to everyone for the help. There was a lot I didn’t know. I didn’t know what a transformer was to decrease the power down to low voltage, I didn’t know where it was and it was a little intimidating at first. Once I found everything and understood what it all did, everything is up and running after replacing the transformer. Thanks for all the help, I switched it to a new 16v, that was all Home Depot had.

Cheers, Dustin
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation