False Tamper alerts

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
dtwca
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried to open a support case... constant arlo.com website error (wouldn't even let me log in with Safari, had to use Chrome to get that far...)

Tried online chat... 20 minutes waiting, uploaded a screen shot, 30 minutes of no reply

Been sitting as "You are the second person in the queue" for 20 minutes...

Here's the problem. Latest firmware, latest app version. The video doorbell is wired directly to the transformer. Nobody is tampering with it.

IMG_FC5085F86674-1.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is it possible that the wiring anyplace between the transformer and doorbell has a break or that the terminals on either the doorbell or transformer don't have a good connection? ANything that would break the connection, even temporarily, would do this.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dtwca,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information about this issue.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is it possible that the wiring anyplace between the transformer and doorbell has a break or that the terminals on either the doorbell or transformer don't have a good connection? ANything that would break the connection, even temporarily, would do this.

dtwca
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll definitely explore that possibility.

dgsscg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue. What was the suggested solution?

Brentk89
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue with ongoing tamper alerts and have been unable to resolve the issue.

dtwca
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay this is embarrassing for someone who considers themselves pretty tech-savvy. Maybe I should have read the manual, but what self-respecting American male does that?

We got rid of our physical chime when we bought a Ring, which the Arlo is replacing.

When doing the install I wasn't sure what the function of the little Arlo widget with two leads was. We didn't have a chime to connect it to so I just connected it to my transformer along with the leads to the doorbell.

In retrospect that little widget just sends a signal/closes the circuit for the chime when it gets data from the doorbell. Attaching it directly to the transformer apparently created a short on a regular interval. I suspect when a car would drive by it was signaling the widget, which then closed the circuit, resulting in the doorbell generating a Tamper Alert.

For those of you having the problem, if you have a physical chime I'd check to make sure that widget is connected to the right terminals. If you don't have a physical chime, that widget should not be connected to anything.

Brentk89
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you, that appears to have resolved my issue
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dtwca wrote:

When doing the install I wasn't sure what the function of the little Arlo widget with two leads was. We didn't have a chime to connect it to so I just connected it to my transformer along with the leads to the doorbell.

In retrospect that little widget just sends a signal/closes the circuit for the chime when it gets data from the doorbell.

I don't believe it sends a signal.  But it does make sure that the doorbell and the chime (if you have one) are properly powered when the doorbell isn't being pressed.  

In addition to hooking it up according the instructions, you also need to make sure the switch on the power module is in the correct position.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation