Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 23 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
Funcini
Initiate
Initiate

Installed my video doorbell and everything was working great.

Couple of weeks go by and I noticed I could no longer change the Mechanical Chime (hardwired to the doorbell) on and off.

The "Traditional Chime" menu in the iOS app was showing "Not Connected"

The only way to resolve this was logging into my Arlo account with my PC web browser and changing the setting there.

The doorbell works again and now the app is displaying the menu.

Hope this helps someone else from wasting hours of time troubleshooting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The most recent firmware release for the doorbell should have resolved this issue. If you're still experiencing the issue, you should remove and resync your doorbell and test again to see if the same issue still occurs.

Please let us know if after reinstalling the doorbell you're still having the same problem.

JamesC

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Funcini,

Thanks for sharing this information with the community.

Does the mobile app still show your chime as not connected or did changing the setting on PC allow it to display correctly?

JamesC

Synapse120
Initiate
Initiate

I was facing the same issue as the original poster and his solution solved my problem.  I can confirm the app on the smartphone now shows it set to mechanical that i set from the web interface

Rieker
Initiate
Initiate

I had same issue. I turned off the mechanical chime using the app.  I was not to turn it back on using the app.  I had to use a PC to access the account and was able to turn it back on. My app now shows the mechanical chime on. 

Funcini
Initiate
Initiate

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Using the web browser on my PC, I'm able to set the chime to mechanical. If I log back into the app on my phone, the correct menu displays, but only temporarily.

If I set the chime back to none using the app, and then close the app, the chime shows "not connected" when I log back into the app. I have to repeat the process in the web browser on my PC to fix this.

Given some of the other replies to my post, it appears others are experiencing this issue. I was able to reproduce the glitch several times in the past month or two. Can you please escalate this issue to the app development team and fix in one of the next updates? 

Working from home, we receive lots of packages throughout the day and the chime can be disruptive during business calls. I'd really like to be able to turn on,  and off, and on, the chime from my app. Thank you and happy new year.

abeier
Star
Star

I have tried all your suggestions and still can not change the ‘Traditional Chime’.  It says ‘Not Connected’ on my iPhone, iPad, and web server on me PC.  I only recently purchased the doorbell and the option of Traditional Chime has never been available to change?

Are there any suggestions?

hobnobazog
Initiate
Initiate

I had the same issue, I could not change the setting for chime on Android or PC. I ended up removing and re-adding the doorbell to Arlo and I was able to set the chime there. Pain in the butt but it worked.

mwl
Initiate
Initiate

My doorbell chime stop working one day. I see power to the doorbell and notification was still working. Thinking it was the chime, I replace it, same issue. Check the voltage power to the the chime and it was 0 v (with the power kit attached). Thought it was the transform. My transform was place in a basement light that has been drywalled over! Replace and same thing. Checked app and everything seems to work. Tried to reset some settings and I am no longer able to update the traditional chime settings. It showed as not connected!

Found this message and just tried. It is working now by going into the web version to fix!

Problem was that the app was updated and chime settings was lost or messed up settings! Wasted 3 days and almost $80. I should be able to return the new chime and get back $53. What a pain and a waste of time. NO THANK YOU ARLO!

dkozinn
Guide
Guide

I've got the same problem: Traditional Chime worked fine for about the first month, and now shows up as Not Connected in both the IOS app and the web. I've verified the wiring, I replaced the old doorbell transformer when I originally installed it, and all the other functions work fine. I've tried restarting the doorbell through the app, although I have not yet done a factory reset.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

wtoddsherman
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue, doorbell chime worked after setup for a period of time and then just stopped.  It shows as not connected in both Android app AND web based PC application.  Come on Arlo, how about some help, you obviously have a problem here and you are leaving it up to your customers to try and struggle through it.

dkozinn
Guide
Guide

I opened a ticket and got a response within a day. They had several suggestions, but what worked for me was to remove and reset the doorbell and add it back in. Once I did that the chime menu showed up and it's been working since then.

GFurman
Tutor
Tutor

So I purchased a $120 doorbell that does everything except ring the doorbell?

I can't reset it from from the web portal either. I knew I should have purchased the "Ring" doorbell. Sometimes I over-think things. Unfortunately this will have to be uninstalled and returned. It doesn't seem like Arlo is fixing the problem any time soon.

dkozinn
Guide
Guide

Did you try removing and re-adding as I mentioned? That worked for me, and it's been fine ever since.

GFurman
Tutor
Tutor
I haven't done that, and I do appreciate you posting a fix. That's more than Arlo has done. You say it's been working fine ever since, but it's only been 11 days. What if the same issue happens a month from now when I can no longer return it to Amazon? That's my concern. This seems to be a systemic issue that Arlo is not fixing. But thanks 😊
wtoddsherman
Tutor
Tutor

I did remove it and reinstall it from the app and it fixed the problem.  Inconvenient at best.  I had to reinvestigate what type of chime I had and the tool to remove the doorbell from it's mount (necessary to press reset on door bell) seems to degrade the mechanism and it does not fit snuggly anymore.

So thank you for the advice.  I share others concern that it could happen again as I'm not aware of Arlo identifying or fixing a root cause.

dkozinn
Guide
Guide

I'll certainly admit that popping the device off and putting it back on was a pain in the neck. It was a snug fit to begin with and while it seems to still be as snug as it was, this is something I'd hoped that I'd never have to touch again.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The most recent firmware release for the doorbell should have resolved this issue. If you're still experiencing the issue, you should remove and resync your doorbell and test again to see if the same issue still occurs.

Please let us know if after reinstalling the doorbell you're still having the same problem.

JamesC

GFurman
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for the response. I just received it from Amazon yesterday and during installation it automatically updated the firmware. So the problem happened after that, which is why I searched this community for answers.

That being said, I deleted the doorbell and reinstalled from scratch as others have suggested. It says my firmware is up to date. The doorbell is working now as I was able to select "digital" from the available chime options. So we'll see what happens moving forward, time will tell.
Theophilus1979
Initiate
Initiate

Same story here. When will it be resolved?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Theophilus1979,

A recent firmware update should have resolved this issue. If you're still seeing the same issue, try removing and resyncing your doorbell to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

rha3770169
Initiate
Initiate
Do they have any idea what a pain it is to reinstall their doorbell. Purchasing an Arlo is a very costly mistake on my part. 😡
Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 23 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation