Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Aussie_In_AZ
Star
Star

G'day all,

I am looking at buying the new Arlo Video Doorbell.  I can't find much information about it.  The Arlo website is kind of useless.

I have the Arlo Pro 2 base station (VMB4000 I believe).  Does it connect through this hub?  Are there any online manufacturer installation instructions that I can view before I purchase the product?

Cheers in advance

J

57 REPLIES 57
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Video Doorbell isn't yet available for purchase. There will be FAQs available that answer all of your questions very soon. Stay tuned for these to become available.

JamesC

thompsonck
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is the Video Doorbell available for purchase? Also, does it connect to the Base station if i want to save my videos? When the Arlo Smart plan 3 month free trial expires, will it still save my videos from from the Video doorbell?

Traithnin
Star
Star
I'd like to know that too, will the doorbell be able to use the same 7 day recording as the cameras or is it paid subscription or live view only. If it needs a paid subscription then it's far less interesting.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Video Doorbell comes with a 3 months free trial of Arlo Smart, which enables users to store their videos in the cloud for up to 30 days. After the included 3-month trial of Arlo Smart, users can continue storing their videos in the cloud with a paid subscription, which they can view from anywhere through the Arlo App.

JamesC

Traithnin
Star
Star
Shame when the cameras come with 7 days recording without subscription. If the doorbell came with the same it would be on my shopping list (subject to price). As it is, I'll carry on considering the Ring Pro.
Chris_Breezy
Aspirant
Aspirant

My current doorbell location is perpendicular to my door, is the angled mount slanted enough to provide adequate coverage? 

Aussie_In_AZ
Star
Star

Thanks JamesC but that didn't quite answer my question.  Are you telling me that the new video doorbell will NOT connect to the Arlo Pro 2 Base station?

Cheers

Ceophoto
Guide
Guide

Is there 7 day video available, and what about the hub.....simple answers please

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ceophoto,

This is answered above.

"The Arlo Video Doorbell comes with a 3 months free trial of Arlo Smart, which enables users to store their videos in the cloud for up to 30 days. After the included 3-month trial of Arlo Smart, users can continue storing their videos in the cloud with a paid subscription, which they can view from anywhere through the Arlo App."

The Arlo Video Doorbell will still send notifications and ring without a subscription, but no content will be stored in the cloud and no Arlo Smart features will be available. More information on this will be made available closer to launch.

JamesC

Ceophoto
Guide
Guide
James, You did not answer the question. Is 7 day storage available on the device? A simple ‘Yes it is’ or Not it isn’t’ is all I want for an answer. I am not interested in a device with a subscription video service. So please answer the questions asked without trying to market services I may not need. The soon to be available Netatmo video doorbell comes with an onboard microSD card that you can transfer video from card to PC. This is what the competition is doing.... Aussie_in_AZ, might be time to consider other options if they do not give a straight answer.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ceophoto,

Without an Arlo Smart subscription. No content from the Arlo Video Doorbell will be stored in the cloud, as stated above.

JamesC

Ceophoto
Guide
Guide
Forget the cloud. Is there local storage.

A) Yes there is local storage
B) No there is not any local storage

Which is it? A or B
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ceophoto,

At this time, Arlo VIdeo Doorbell does not support local storage. Recorded content is stored only on the cloud with an Arlo Smart Subscription.

JamesC

Aussie_In_AZ
Star
Star

JamesC

So, it does NOT connect to the Arlo Pro 2 base station then?

Aussie

cameraz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't know about you guys, but if the Arlo Video Doorbell does not integrate with my existing Arlo cameras, and use the same Arlo phone app, there is no compelling reason for me to buy one. it will have the same features as plenty of less expensive units currently on the market.

Traithnin
Star
Star
Yes I agree. I visited a friend recently who has the ring pro, and was impressed but having Arlo 'pro 2' cameras already I was very interested read about the Arlo video doorbell because having an add on to the existing system, with the same facility to review the past 7 days would be a no brainer. However as it is there is no compelling reason to make the Arlo doorbell first choice over others.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cameraz wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but if the Arlo Video Doorbell does not integrate with my existing Arlo cameras, and use the same Arlo phone app, there is no compelling reason for me to buy one. 

I agree with that point, but I would like to add that Arlo hasn't said that it won't be integrated with the existing cameras or app.  Just that there is no option for free cloud storage.

Aussie_In_AZ
Star
Star

And as you can see by the questions NOT answered above, they are very reluctant to say that it DOES.

Why so much secrecy?  The website shows a BUY NOW button so why not give some straight answers?

Aussie

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Aussie_In_AZ wrote:

The website shows a BUY NOW button ...

I agree there should be more information published for it, since it is now available for purchase.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Video Doorbell can be added to your existing Arlo account but operates as a standalone product as it does not require a base station or SmartHub, similar to other Arlo wired camera products like Arlo Q and Arlo Baby. Arlo Video Doorbell can cross-trigger actions on other Arlo devices within Arlo’s ecosystem when motion detection occurs.

JamesC

cameraz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for this, James.

Rick102
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks James.  It appears that the Arlo video doorbell will be a separate system from the Arlo camera system and while having the ability to sync the Arlo door bell to other Arlo cameras, this provides only minimal benefit.  Not offering the same, free 7-day cloud storage for the Arlo video doorbell (currently offered for the cameras) is my main reason for not purchasing the Arlo vidoe Doorbell. Very disappointing.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can see your point if you are an Arlo Pro 2 owner that came with 7 day free recording - there's no way to get the doorbell recordings to be free as well. However, you can set the video doorbell up to trigger your front door camera to start recording - or you could just consider the Arlo Audio Doorbell.

Also, this doesn't really impact me as I have Arlo Ultra's which require a monthly or yearly subscription so I'll be paying for it anyways. That and the $20 GC deal to bestbuy for pre-ordering, and the hard-wired/existing chime versus a wifi chime and battery powered unit makes it worth it no matter what to get the video doorbell over the audio doorbell.

Rick102
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the response and I understand that’s an option.  However, I purchased Arlo Pro 3 cameras to cover other areas around my house with the intention of purchasing the video doorbell to cover my front porch.  I was thinking that the video doorbell would be supported by Arlo the same way as the Arlo Pro3 cameras.  Seems silly that Arlo is not providing the 7 day cloud storage for the video doorbell similar to the Pro 3  cameras, particularly when competitors are offering free cloud storage for their video doorbell.  Also I did not want to install two cameras (Arlo Pro 3 and video doorbell) in order to obtain stored video without a subscription.