Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essentials Wired videodoorbell ring original chime?

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
sportflyer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am about to purchase the Essentials wired Video doorbell. What I need to know is whether the Arlo video doorbell will ring the original chime (electronic)  when the Arlo button is pressed? BTW my original chime needed a diode across the button for it to work . Is the diode still needed ?   Thanks    Sportflyer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sportflyer wrote:

I just need the Chime to work with the Arlo video doorbell .

FWIW, I do understand this.  The doorbell does work with most chimes, but there are some that are incompatible.  Since you don't know what model chime you have, there's no way to guarantee that yours will work. 

One option is to purchase from a retailer with a good exchange policy, so you can return it if it doesn't work out.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sportflyer wrote:

I am about to purchase the Essentials wired Video doorbell. What I need to know is whether the Arlo video doorbell will ring the original chime (electronic)  when the Arlo button is pressed? 

What is the manufacturer/model of the original chime?

@sportflyer wrote:

BTW my original chime needed a diode across the button for it to work . Is the diode still needed ?   

Assuming it is compatible - you wouldn't need that diode, but the wired doorbell (AVD1001) does require you to install a power module at the chime.

sportflyer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will install the power module .   I dont remember the Chime name .  It's just an electronic chime with standard  wiring

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sportflyer wrote:

I dont remember the Chime name .  It's just an electronic chime with standard  wiring

It's worth your time to take the cover off it, and find the label.  Although Arlo doesn't maintain a chime compatibility list, Ring does - and if something doesn't work with Ring, it generally won't work with Arlo as well.

Also, there are some chimes that will work with the AVD2001, but not the AVD1001.  That's because the AVD2001 can handle 8 VAC, but the AVD1001 requires at least 16 VAC.

sportflyer
Aspirant
Aspirant

No label of manufacturer found anywhere  after opening chime cover. Most probably located at the back which means I have to remove from wall.  It is most probably a Nutone but cant confirm .

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sportflyer wrote:

No label of manufacturer found anywhere  after opening chime cover. Most probably located at the back which means I have to remove from wall.  It is most probably a Nutone but cant confirm .

1. Is it digital?  Or mechanical?
  2. Is there simply two wires at the doorbell and one for each doorbell at the chime? (typically "front", "rear", and "trans" at the chime).
  3. Do you know the transformer specs?
sportflyer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Its electronic . Only one switch for the doorbell.  One wire from the Transformer is connected  to terminal T , the other wire goes to the  doorbell switch . The return from the switch is connected to terminal F . There is a diode between the switch terminals or the chime won't work.  So it's a very standard a wiring connection. Nothing special .

sportflyer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Forgot to mention the transformer spec is 16V , 10VA  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sportflyer wrote:

Its electronic .

Well, it has to be electronic.  The question is whether it is digital (producing sound through a speaker), or whether it is mechanical (activating a striker when the doorbell is pressed).

@sportflyer wrote:

One wire from the Transformer is connected  to terminal T , the other wire goes to the  doorbell switch . The return from the switch is connected to terminal F . 

Ok.  So T for transformer, F for Front.  This is standard (as you say), so not a problem.

@sportflyer wrote:

Forgot to mention the transformer spec is 16V , 10VA  

This is the minimum required for the AVD1001.  So it should work, but might not be quite enough (depending on wiring, etc).

FWIW, you might also consider the AVD2001.  The AVD2001 trickle-charges it's battery from the circuit.  It doesn't require as much power, and doesn't need the power kit (or diode).  It's somewhat thicker than the AVD1001, and doesn't have the foresight feature.  Motion detection range is also somewhat less (often a good thing for a doorbell).

sportflyer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it's  definitely a digital  chime because it has a speaker . BTW does the Arlo act like a diode to the electronic chime ? Can I leave the  existing diode in the circuit across the bell switch ?   Tks 

sportflyer
Aspirant
Aspirant

BTW I can easily change the Transformer to 16V , 30VA or even 24V , 40VA if needed. I just need the Chime to work with the Arlo video doorbell .  My wife insists that the Chime works . She does not like push notifications to the cell phone (with no ring) . We are retirees and share a cell phone and most of the time we are home but don't carry cellphone on us all the time like younger folks do .  Also considering alternative like the Hello from Nest but leaning towards Arlo wired.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sportflyer wrote:

BTW does the Arlo act like a diode to the electronic chime ? Can I leave the  existing diode in the circuit across the bell switch ?  

You remove the diode when you install the doorbell and install the power kit that comes with the AVD1001 across the two leads in the chime.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sportflyer wrote:

I just need the Chime to work with the Arlo video doorbell .

FWIW, I do understand this.  The doorbell does work with most chimes, but there are some that are incompatible.  Since you don't know what model chime you have, there's no way to guarantee that yours will work. 

One option is to purchase from a retailer with a good exchange policy, so you can return it if it doesn't work out.

sportflyer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for all the inputs . I will try the Arlo out.   I will advise outcome when I get it going. 

sportflyer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately for my installation the existing doorbell button is located on a wall that is 90 degrees to the main door with sidelights. So I need to extend the door bell wire about 2 feet . The problem is that I need to somehow feed the wire from the  side of the Arlo mount plate to connect to the device. The arlo mounting plate may be too thin for this .  I was thinking of making a 1/2 inch thick wood stand off plate to be placed behind the Arlo mounting plate. I can then drill a hole on the side  and another larger hole on the plate to match the Arlo mounting plate hole so I can feed the bell wire  through this new stand off plate .   Any other suggestions ? Tks

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation