Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential Live View Delay

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
YBRmuggsLP21
Follower
Follower

So I bought two wired Essential doorbells (now technically have three because of an exchange situation). Began by hooking one up on our rear door. When everything was complete, the doorbell live view was incredibly delayed; on average, somewhere around 12 seconds. Thought maybe it was something with that doorbell in particular, so switched it out for one of the others.

After a painstaking setup, I finally got the second one working. Average delay around 15 seconds.... If I lower all the video settings, I can occasionally get it down to around EIGHT, but still averages 12-15 seconds. That's ridiculous.

They are/were installed roughly 20 feet from a satellite on my mesh system. Signal is strong, speed testing right next to it gives more than adequate results, and I'm connected to the same network as the doorbell when doing my tests/viewing. Firmware is up-to-date, as is my Arlo app. 

Did I make a mistake purchasing these, or is there something that can be done to correct this? This type of delay basically makes the product useless.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check for other 2.4GHz wireless devices nearby that could be causing interference. What is the house construction? If you use one of these on a different door, is the lag time better? I just tested a wireless doorbell and live view was about 7 seconds.

DewTheDew
Initiate
Initiate

I think I made the same mistake, I came from ringing and the device ended up breaking and was out of warranty so I figured I would try something new

Ring doorbell have virtually no delay… You can have regular conversations and the other person is not sitting there waiting for seconds on end to hear a response

I could stand in front of the doorbell and move around and at most experience a half a second or so of a delay in watching the live video

Where is now, the Arlo has like 10+ seconds of video delay when watching live. 

its pretty bad! 

i’m going to return tomorrow and just get a new ring

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation