Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Doorbell randomly buzzing in chime box

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Schmidtty
Initiate
Initiate
We've had the Arlo essential doorbell installed for a few months now. It's worked fine and is still working fine. There's always been a quiet buzz in the chime box but now it's buzzing loudly every few minutes.
Firmware is up to date.
The power kit is installed in the chime box, set to O.
I located the transformer and it's rated 16V and 10VA, measured the two outputs and it's showing ~22Vac. The transformer has two doorbells wired to it, one regular mechanical doorbell and the other is the Arlo.
Is the problem that the transformer isn't putting out the proper voltage? Will replacing the 16V transformer with a 24V transformer fix the issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schmidtty
Initiate
Initiate

I figured it out. As it turns out whoever wired up this house had the front and rear bell swapped at the chime. The power kit was between the wrong leads. As of right now, after the fix, the buzzing has stopped completely.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Schmidtty wrote:

I located the transformer and it's rated 16V and 10VA, measured the two outputs and it's showing ~22Vac. 
Is the problem that the transformer isn't putting out the proper voltage? Will replacing the 16V transformer with a 24V transformer fix the issue?

It might, and is an inexpensive (if you can install it yourself).  Clearly something is off, given the voltage you are seeing.

@Schmidtty wrote:
The transformer has two doorbells wired to it, one regular mechanical doorbell and the other is the Arlo.

Unlikely but just in case: Did you double-check that the power kit is between the Alro and the tranformer return? 

Obviously it can't do it's job it if is wired between the mechanical doorbell and the transformer return.

Schmidtty
Initiate
Initiate

I figured it out. As it turns out whoever wired up this house had the front and rear bell swapped at the chime. The power kit was between the wrong leads. As of right now, after the fix, the buzzing has stopped completely.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Schmidtty wrote:

As it turns out whoever wired up this house had the front and rear bell swapped at the chime. The power kit was between the wrong leads. As of right now, after the fix, the buzzing has stopped completely.

Great!

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation