Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
RadarGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had a set of Pro2 cameras for about 2 months, and an Arlo video doorbell for about 1 month.  All were working fine via the Android app running on a Samsung Galaxy S9 until about a week ago. Inexplicably, the video from the doorbell only has stopped working. I can play back old files and live stream, but I only get audio and no video. Streaming live or playing back video from all 3 of the Pro2 cameras still works fine. Also, I CAN play back and view live video from the doorbell on my iPhone 8 and also via the website interface with no problem, so I know the video doorbell is not the issue.  I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Arlo app from the Play Store, and even updated my Galaxy firmware and rebooted, but the problem remains. I suspect the root problem is in the Arlo Android app itself.  Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RadarGuy,

Does everything also work when using the web client from a PC?

Check your permission settings on your Android mobile device:

Navigate to phone “Settings”
Select “Apps”
Scroll down to “Arlo”
Ensure that the Arlo app has “Camera”, “Microphone” and “Phone” permissions granted

You might also try rebooting the doorbell from Settings > My Devices > select your doorbell > Restart

JamesC

RadarGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello James,

As I said in my original post, "I CAN play back and view live video from the doorbell...via the website interface with no problem..."  The issue was never with the web client.  All videos from all my cameras (including the doorbell) have always played back properly from the web client and my iPhone 8.

On Feb 4, I did call support and they recommended I try installing the Android app on my tablet (Galaxy Tab S4).  It had the exact same problem....would not play video from recordings dated Jan 28 through Feb 4 from the doorbell (though it would play video from recordings during that time period from the Pro2 cameras).  Audio would play on those doorbell recordings from that period, just not the video.

Upon the recommendation that I change the video resolution to the doorbell in my Android phone app, and testing by walking outside in front of the doorbell, suddenly THOSE videos would play on both Android devices.  I changed the resolution back to max and they continued to be recorded and play back properly.  

To this day, neither Android device plays video from the recordings dated Jan 28-Feb 4, whereas those same videos still play back properly on the iPhone and web client.   However, since everything has been working since Feb 4, I chalk it up to some weird bug that was corrected once I changed the resolution to a lower value and back to max.

Jeffham222
Aspirant
Aspirant
Changing resolution seemed to work for me too, but unsure if it is a good and permanent fix.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jeffham222 wrote:
Changing resolution seemed to work for me too, but unsure if it is a good and permanent fix.

The issue is that the phone just doesn't support the higher resolution - so it's the only fix until it's time to upgrade the phone.

Jeffham222
Aspirant
Aspirant

...pretty my S10 can support the resolution.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jeffham222 wrote:

...pretty my S10 can support the resolution.

Certainly it should, as my aging S7 displays the video ok.

Exia7891
Star
Star

I ran into this exact same issue a few months back (https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/No-video-after-firmware-update-audio-works/m-p/175...) and found the resolution change quick fix. However, any time the Arlo app is updated, this essentially breaks the live video/recorded clips and we are back to no video but audio working for the doorbell.

This behavior does not happen on any of my other Pro 3, Pro or Q cameras, just affects the doorbell. This is becoming a nuisance and certainly this issue needs to be escalated to the Arlo devs so they can address it. I invested in the doorbell because I'm already invested in the Arlo ecosystem, but I'm starting to wonder if I made the right decision sticking with Arlo. Please Arlo, fix this issue!

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation