Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AVD2001 Wired Doorbell Can't be Onboarded again

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
BTG
Tutor
Tutor

Had this doorbell for about a year now. When I first attempted to sync up (onboard) via app, had a very difficult time then to get it onboarded. Since then, and recently, the doorbell still rings and it senses motion (lights flash slowly), but doesn't record any video. Did a factory reset of doorbell, removed doorbell from account in the app, and even deleted the Arlo app and reinstalled. Now it's not letting me onboard again. I've tried everything. Reset the smart hub (VMB5000), reset my router, factory reset the doorbell, and even deleted the Arlo app and reinstalled with no success. Does the firmware need to be updated after a factory reset? How does that happen if the doorbell can't be onboarded?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

First check that it is in your subscription plan.  The simplest way is to live stream the doorbell camera, and make a manual recording.  If you can do that, then the doorbell is in the plan.

Next, check the details of the mode you are using, and make sure there is an appropriate rule for the doorbell in the mode.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Bainf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah I am in a similar boat. Had it set up with old base station for over a year and it worked but of course never recorded as old base station did not do it (without subscription) but would trigger nearby camera and push notifications.Had a few issues setting up. Didn’t like seeing QR code.  Now  have latest 5000 and sd card so it can record . Mine works perfectly, lights up, etc except still does not record and push notification gone.  A bit frustrating.
Update! I reset base station twice!! and went through whole process And it is now working as it should. Hope this helps!

BTG
Tutor
Tutor

Did you do a power off/on reset or an actual factory reset?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@BTG 

Did you make any network changes? Are you trying to onboard via a 2.4Ghz network? Did you add a firewall?

BTG
Tutor
Tutor

No network changes. 2.4Ghz network. No firewall added. All I did was factory reset the doorbell (because it would detect motion but wasn't recording video) and now it refuses to onboard. Will still ring the doorbell and starts flashing when motion detected. I thought I remember having to scan the QR code to onboard originally, now it's not asking for that step.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is the doorbell still showing in your app or web portal? 

I'm sure you tried this, but can you try factory resetting again via these steps: https://kb.arlo.com/000062346/How-do-I-reset-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell

BTG
Tutor
Tutor

No, the doorbell is not showing in the app or web portal. It was removed when I And yes, I've tried the factory resetting multiple times now. Was thinking of factory resetting the Smart Hub next. Think that would help? I'm just concerned about losing my custom modes and camera settings.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is this occurring on an Android or iOS device? Which version of the Arlo app are you using? 

BTG
Tutor
Tutor

Android.

Version 4.5.1_28540

Released 06/15/23    

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@BTG What's the error message that you are receiving? Do you have a screenshot by chance?. 

BTG
Tutor
Tutor

There was really no error message, just the constant clock whirling looking for the device (doorbell) and never timing out. Would have to go into settings and force stop the app and reopen, but at one point the flashing lights on the doorbell and Smart hub seemed to flash quickly for a few seconds in sync, seemingly having synced up, but app would still be spinning looking for device. So I thought I'd try onboarding another camera. When the camera synced up, the app opened to which device would you like to set up, and there was the doorbell now, along with the camera that was just synced up. So I set the doorbell up and it's now showing up in my list of devices, rings and calls my phone, and I can view a live feed, but when it senses motion and lights start breathing, no video is being recorded. So I'm back to square one where I started trying to troubleshoot the doorbell, where it doesn't record video, but seemingly detects motion.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you've had the doorbell for a while, it's likely your trial subscription expired. Any camera newer than the Pro 2 requires a sub for cloud recordings so check your subscription status. 

BTG
Tutor
Tutor

I have the Arlo Secure Multi-Camera Monthly plan.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

First check that it is in your subscription plan.  The simplest way is to live stream the doorbell camera, and make a manual recording.  If you can do that, then the doorbell is in the plan.

Next, check the details of the mode you are using, and make sure there is an appropriate rule for the doorbell in the mode.

BTG
Tutor
Tutor

That was it!

Somehow the rule for the doorbell in the Mode settings got deleted (take no action), which led to not recording video on motion. That led me down the troubleshooting path.....which led me to deleting and onboarding the doorbell again, and never checked the Rule for the Mode.

Thank you! Back in business!

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation