Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AVD1001B-100NAS installation with existing chime NuTone LA-174

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
gupta
Aspirant
Aspirant

We bought a home with an existing NuTone LA-174 (with capability for three doorbells) and we are trying to install an Arlo Wired Video Doorbell. (I have attached a picture of the inside of the chime.)

We are facing the following issue: The instructions ask us to attach one wire of the power kit to the "Trans" screw in the chime. However, our chime has only screws labelled front, side and rear (for our three doors) and no "Trans" screw. We found a wire that we think leads to the transformer but connecting the power kit to it leads to the bell ringing randomly and the white lights don't flash on the doorbell.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gupta wrote:

We bought a home with an existing NuTone LA-174 (with capability for three doorbells) and we are trying to install an Arlo Wired Video Doorbell. (I have attached a picture of the inside of the chime.)

The LA-174 installation manual says that the return wire to the transformer is yellow.

Unfortunately, Arlo doesn't have a chime compatibility list. However, requirements are similar for Ring doorbells, and the LA-174 is on the incompatible list for Ring.  So I don't think the doorbell will work with this chime.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gupta wrote:

The LA-174 installation manual says that the return wire to the transformer is yellow.

Unfortunately, Arlo doesn't have a chime compatibility list. However, requirements are similar for Ring doorbells, and the LA-174 is on the incompatible list for Ring.  So I don't think the doorbell will work with this chime.

gupta
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply! One further clarification: I think when we measured the voltage across the two wires which are connected to the doorbell, it measured about 9V DC. If everything else worked, can the Arlo function at that low voltage? Thanks again!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gupta wrote:

One further clarification: I think when we measured the voltage across the two wires which are connected to the doorbell, it measured about 9V DC. If everything else worked, can the Arlo function at that low voltage? Thanks again!

Arlo doorbells require low voltage AC, not DC.  So if you are measuring DC, then the doorbells certainly aren't compatible with the chime.

The AVD2001 can use 9v AC, the AVD1001 requires at least 16v AC.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation