Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AVD1001 voltage tolerances

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
arrr20
Aspirant
Aspirant

I located the doorbell transformer in my home and it is rated at 24VAC 40VA.  When I measure the voltage with a load on the transformer I'm seeing 27.12VAC.

The Arlo AVD1001 appears to be working normally.  The setup completed and it is functioning normally but I wanted to make sure that the input voltage being +3.12VAC over the 24VAC max isn't going to cause long term issues.

Should I invest in a new transformer or will this be within tolerance for the AVD1001 to operate safely?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm sure Arlo would tell you that the specs should be followed strictly. We have no idea what sort of latitude is built into the device for the voltage input but I really wouldn't think a 10-15% over-voltage would likely be an issue but have no way of proving that. Changing the transformer, if not of the selectable type, would be the safe way to go.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm sure Arlo would tell you that the specs should be followed strictly. We have no idea what sort of latitude is built into the device for the voltage input but I really wouldn't think a 10-15% over-voltage would likely be an issue but have no way of proving that. Changing the transformer, if not of the selectable type, would be the safe way to go.

arrr20
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback.  One thing I will do is measure it at the installation point as the voltage reading I previously recorded was in a bench setup.  Now with 12.5m of 18 AWG wire between the transformer and the AVD1001 I'm sure there will be some additional loss.

I'll keep my eye on the temperatures over the next few days and if it seems too warm or starts acting abnormally I'll disconnect the power so I can replace the transformer left by the previous owner of my home.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation