Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AVD1001 low doorbell battery with correct voltage

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
WW5Ron
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've worked in Electronics/Electrical since the 1970s, my transformer puts out 19.5 v at the doorbell ALL THE TIME. I replaced a LIGHTED doorbell button which had power all the time to light the button. I checked with my digital multi-meter, it was 19.5 volts before I installed the Arlo wired essential Doorbell. After installing the power kit, it was 19.5 volts when in the X position and 19.5 volts in the O position too at the back of the Arlo Doorbell screws.The lowest volts was 18.5 when i put a load on it.

(So I can't tell any difference that the "power kit" makes in my situation regarding voltage being constant like it was with the lighted doorbell button, except old mechanical chime doesnt work when in X but does when in O )

Now, the issue is, ...

the "Battery was 37 % in the app when I installed it, then after 2 days it was 37%, I disconnected it, swapped wire positions, sanded wires to get better contact, reconnected, it went to 63%, after i rang it recorded video etc , so i did it some more and it dropped to 38%, Two days later, still 38%, I disconnected it, rang it while disconnected, it dropped to 19%, reconnected it then it quickly charged up to 25%, I rang it a couple times,now 38% again. It's like the battery shelf life died before I bought it.  An old Arlo manual online said it was chargeable with a usb connector, then hook it back up wired, but i  do not see a usb connector on the wired doorbell.

I saw a post saying to buy a AVD2001

wire-free Arlo that has a USB port, and 

CONNECT the WIRE-FREE one to the WIRES

so it trickle charges, and throw away the AVD1000

wired one I just bought this week to connect to my wires & replace my wired one. ... really?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WW5Ron wrote:

(So I can't tell any difference that the "power kit" makes in my situation regarding voltage being constant like it was with the lighted doorbell button, except old mechanical chime doesnt work when in X but does when in O )

The powerkit isn't supposed to keep the voltage constant.

What it does is divert power through the powerkit when the doorbell isn't being pressed - keeping the power from flowing through the chime.  That keeps the chime from ringing or buzzing when the doorbell isn't being pressed.  There is also an electrical safety aspect, as mechanical chimes were not designed to carry current all the time.

X is "bypass mode" - which diverts power around the chime all the time (even when the doorbell is pressed).

@WW5Ron wrote:

old Arlo manual online said it was chargeable with a usb connector, then hook it back up wired, but i  do not see a usb connector on the wired doorbell.

It's not.  You can use a plug-in adapter that outputs 16-24 vac (there are some on the market).  But you can't connect USB (or any DC source).

@WW5Ron wrote:

I saw a post saying to buy a AVD2001 wire-free Arlo that has a USB port, and CONNECT the WIRE-FREE one to the WIRES so it trickle charges, and throw away the AVD1000

wired one I just bought this week to connect to my wires & replace my wired one. 

To clarify - the AVD2001 does NOT have a USB port.  However, the battery inside it does, and it can be charged with a USB charger when the battery is removed.  It cannot be charged with the battery in place.

The AVD2001 will also trickle charge the battery when it is connected to your doorbell circuitry, and doesn't need a power kit.

I suggest returning your existing doorbell, since it sounds like it is defective.  You could exchange it for another AVD1001, but if you are interested in switching, you likely return it and purchase the AVD2001 - no need to throw anything away.  

There are some other differences - the AVD2001 is a bit thicker.  The motion detection range is somewhat less.  The AVD1001 supports homekit when connected to an Arlo hub - the AVD2001 currently doesn't.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
WW5Ron
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also, does the wired doorbell require replacement when the non-replaceable battery dies?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WW5Ron wrote:

The powerkit isn't supposed to keep the voltage constant.

What it does is divert power through the powerkit when the doorbell isn't being pressed - keeping the power from flowing through the chime.  That keeps the chime from ringing or buzzing when the doorbell isn't being pressed.  There is also an electrical safety aspect, as mechanical chimes were not designed to carry current all the time.

X is "bypass mode" - which diverts power around the chime all the time (even when the doorbell is pressed).

@WW5Ron wrote:

old Arlo manual online said it was chargeable with a usb connector, then hook it back up wired, but i  do not see a usb connector on the wired doorbell.

It's not.  You can use a plug-in adapter that outputs 16-24 vac (there are some on the market).  But you can't connect USB (or any DC source).

@WW5Ron wrote:

I saw a post saying to buy a AVD2001 wire-free Arlo that has a USB port, and CONNECT the WIRE-FREE one to the WIRES so it trickle charges, and throw away the AVD1000

wired one I just bought this week to connect to my wires & replace my wired one. 

To clarify - the AVD2001 does NOT have a USB port.  However, the battery inside it does, and it can be charged with a USB charger when the battery is removed.  It cannot be charged with the battery in place.

The AVD2001 will also trickle charge the battery when it is connected to your doorbell circuitry, and doesn't need a power kit.

I suggest returning your existing doorbell, since it sounds like it is defective.  You could exchange it for another AVD1001, but if you are interested in switching, you likely return it and purchase the AVD2001 - no need to throw anything away.  

There are some other differences - the AVD2001 is a bit thicker.  The motion detection range is somewhat less.  The AVD1001 supports homekit when connected to an Arlo hub - the AVD2001 currently doesn't.

WW5Ron
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. That's what I'll do. Return initiated for 1001 wired defective battery one, purchased the 2001 wireless one with removable replaceable battery that should trickle charge off the doorbell wires. Also bought base station, 4 cameras and 4 solar panels. I don't have Apple or homekit, but if my 512GB usb records on the base station and the doorbell and cameras work ok, i'll be happy. less motion detection might be good, my old solar charged motion detecting floodlights (no cameras just lights) were too sensitive every car that drove by made my yard light up & battery drain. Bushes/Tree/wind movement on side of house sets off other motion detector lights that don't have adjustable sensitivity.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation