Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AVD1001 connects to wifi but can't be found in app

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
jjuhl
Aspirant
Aspirant

My video doorbell AVD1001 appears to be connected to my router. According to my router's connected devices, it has an assigned IP address. However, the Arlo app repeatedly says no device was found. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps I could find in this community (resetting device, only connect to 2.4 wifi, etc) but nothing seems to work. Again, it seems like it connected to my router, but the app can't seem to find it. I've seen a few others with this issue, but not really a resolution that I could find.

21 REPLIES 21
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Try creating a hotspot on the phone, and then onboard to the hotspot network.  Then switch the wifi to real network after you complete setup.

jjuhl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried that with no luck. However, I'm not sure it's actually trying to connect to my phone. The Continue button in the app is grayed out unless my phone is connected to wifi. So, I connected to wifi, tapped Continue, turned off wifi on the phone, typed in my phone's hotspot name and password. The doorbell chimed when I showed it the QR code, but then the app couldn't find the device.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jjuhl wrote:

Tried that with no luck. However, I'm not sure it's actually trying to connect to my phone. The Continue button in the app is grayed out unless my phone is connected to wifi. So, I connected to wifi, tapped Continue, turned off wifi on the phone, typed in my phone's hotspot name and password. The doorbell chimed when I showed it the QR code, but then the app couldn't find the device.

The doorbell is connecting to whatever wifi name/password you enter in the QR code.  I believe the chime just indicates that the QR code was read by the doorbell - not that the doorbell actually was able to join the network.  Of course the hotspot network will need to be on the 2.4 ghz band.

Another aspect is that some punctuation in the network name (and perhaps the password) seems to get in the way.  Underscore (_) is one character that's been reported here, though there might be others.  One thing that also helped some users was using a third-party website to generate the QR code.  They used qifi.org, and then printed the code.  Then they used the printed code instead of the one on the phone screen.  So you could try that also.

jjuhl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I took the hyphen out of the network name, same result. I had previously tried a QR code from qifi.org, but I couldn't get the doorbell to recognize it. I also changed my phone hotspot to remove any special characters, and made sure it is also 2.4 Ghz, but still nothing. Why would it be listed in my router connected devices, but not found in the app?

jjuhl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried the qifi.org QR code again, and the doorbell chimed, but the app still could not find it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jjuhl wrote:

Why would it be listed in my router connected devices, but not found in the app?

That is the million dollar question.

One thing is that the AVD1001 might have been claimed by another account.  If there's any chance this was an open box return or used, then that is a possibility.

Assuming that is not the case:  Once the camera is on the wifi network, the app and the camera need to discover each other.  That process generally involves sending out broadcast packets (that reach all devices) to help identify the IP addresses and then opening up a unicast connection.  There are situations where the broadcast packets don't get through.  So that is one cause.  There might be others - Arlo doesn't describe exactly what is going on.

Whatever the cause, it definitely needs attention - onboarding has far too much friction today, and there is no reason I can see for the process to be so difficult.

jjuhl
Aspirant
Aspirant
The doorbell has finally been added to the app. I'm not sure what the solution was. I initially was able to add it using my mobile hotspot, but was unsuccessful changing it's network to my router. So, I removed the doorbell from the app and tried connecting to my router and it worked. I with I knew why!

Now my problem is there is no live video. The app just spins and said "connecting..." when I try to view the video. When I try to view on my.arlo.com, I get the error:

There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server.

Other than the video, the doorbell rings my chime and send an alert to my phone. Just no video. 
jkhtown
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same issue.  I returned the first doorbell as I was sure it was a faulty unit, but I am having the SAME issue with the replacement - I can see the device on my wifi router, but no matter what I try I can't get the app to connect to the device.  I guess this is going back as well and I am going back to Ring....

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jkhtown,

Try factory resetting the doorbell and attempt onboarding again. Be sure your mobile device is connected to your routers 2.4ghz connection and no VPN is enabled.

To factory reset, follow these instructions: https://kb.arlo.com/000062346/How-do-I-reset-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell

JamesC

jkhtown
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have reset the doorbell probably 10 times. I just tried it again, ensured it is 2.4ghz and no VPN is enabled, and it still does not work.

This is the only smart device in my home that is this difficult to onboard.  Everything else just works out of the box, yet Arlo is now 0-2. 

Any other suggestions? 

jkhtown
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo support has been a nightmare.  Onboarding does not work.  Returning the devices and never purchasing Arlo products again. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jkhtown,

I apologize for the poor support experience. I will review your open support ticket and request a status update.

JamesC

bummedaboutarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have yet to get any arlo device working or any support. It's cheaper to throw the units away than try to get assistance. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bummedaboutarlo,

Could you provide more details about what you are experiencing?

JamesC

bummedaboutarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

The floodlight chimes when pointed at the QR code. But the Arlo app never finds it. However, I do see the floodlight connected to my 2.4ghz router. I have tried on three different devices, all connected to the 2.4Ghz network, and rebooted all devices and the router. I also tried to go through my phone hotspot and the floodlight blinks solid orange, so it does not find the hotspot. The router is a NETGEAR Nighthawk AX8, if that matters. 
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bummedaboutarlo,

Try factory resetting your device and then go through onboarding again to see if you experience the same behavior. You can find instructions to factory reset here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062659/How-to-factory-reset-Arlo-devices

JamesC

bummedaboutarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
bummedaboutarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

What else can be done to make this device function?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using WPA2 for your WiFi? That's required for Arlo.

bummedaboutarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

You know, I will certainly check. Although after 6 months, I threw all my arlo **bleep** in the garbage. Absolute lack of support. Never a response to email or calls. I can't imagine there is another company that goes so far out of its way to alienate its own customers. One this is for sure, this level of horrible care of their employees has to be intentional.

angryboutbell
Aspirant
Aspirant

After massive pain I solved it on my end. Had an Orbi router and it saw the doorbell but the app couldn’t find it. 

The trick here for me was to temporarily block access of the doorbell to the router while I hard reset it with the pin in the back and then scanned the code, revert access. Hopefully this works for someone else because I nearly lost it!

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation