Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
StephanWenger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm bench-testing a new setup consisting of

-Arlo AVD1001 video doorbell,

-Hampton Bay HB 130-03 transformer, labelled 16VAC, 1875mA (which comes to 30 VA if my college EE math is still right)

-Hampton Bay HB-7621-03 chime

All components are new.  I'm an EE and reasonably well equipped with tools and instruments.

I wired the components up for Arlo instructions on a bench for testing.  The video call feature worked fine, but there was no chime.  I therefore wired in a diode onto the video doorbell's terminals as per Hampton Bay chime instructions.  At this point the chime worked, the video doorbell worked, and everything seemed to be good.

After about half an hour or so, I received a "tampering alert", but could not immediately pay attention to the bench setup.  After another hour, when I checked, the video doorbell appears dead--no lights, no operation.  Power-Cycling the setup does not help.

The transformer voltage is 16.3VAC.  No noticeable current is drawn; a few milliamps at most (the resolution of my multimeter in AC current is 1mA, and I get zero to 1 readings.

Factory-reset (pin in the back of the doorbell) does not help.

So I started experimenting.  I reversed polarity of the diode at the back of the video doorbell (installed in a random direction previously).  With the reverse direction, I get a continuous chime.  Without the diode, or with the diode in the original direction, I get nothing.

Power kit switch settings (O or X), and polarity of the power kit wiring also do not seem to make a difference.

Anything else I can try?  Any known incompatibilities with the chime I bought?  Is there a recommended chime (ideally one which allows to download the ringtone)?

Thanks,

Stephan

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

StephanWenger,

Tamper alert happens when the doorbell loses power for any reason. The symptoms you describe here sound like an issue with the transformer, take a look here for more information: 

The LED on my doorbell is off; what do I do?

How do I install the Power Kit for my Arlo Video Doorbell?

How do I measure the voltage of my doorbell transformer?

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephanWenger wrote:

All components are new.  I'm an EE and reasonably well equipped with tools and instruments.

I wired the components up for Arlo instructions on a bench for testing.  The video call feature worked fine, but there was no chime.  I therefore wired in a diode onto the video doorbell's terminals as per Hampton Bay chime instructions.  At this point the chime worked, the video doorbell worked, and everything seemed to be good.

Power kit switch settings (O or X), and polarity of the power kit wiring also do not seem to make a difference.

You shouldn't need the diode at the doorbell (the power module is supposed to take care of that).

The module switch should be in the "O" position - "X" is bypass mode, which essentially disconnects the chime from the circuit (more accurately, diverts all the power through the module).

Is the doorbell setting for the chime set to "digital"?

Assuming yes - I'd try disconnecting the power module altogether (just as a test), and see if the chime behaves correctly.

StephanWenger
Aspirant
Aspirant
@StephanWenger wrote:

You shouldn't need the diode at the doorbell (the power module is supposed to take care of that).

OK.  Thanks.

The module switch should be in the "O" position - "X" is bypass mode, which essentially disconnects the chime from the circuit (more accurately, diverts all the power through the module).

Understood.  Thanks.

Is the doorbell setting for the chime set to "digital"?

There is no such settings on the Hampton Bay HB-7621-03.  There are buttons to pair a wireless push button, a volume wheel, and a button to select the chime. 

Assuming yes - I'd try disconnecting the power module altogether (just as a test), and see if the chime behaves correctly.

I do not get a chime, nor lights on the Arlo doorbell, with the power module disconnected.  In fact, the behavior of the setup, including power draw from the transformer (within the resolution of my multimeter--1 mA), is the same regardless on whether the power module is installed or not.  

Is there a point to connect the 16VAC directly to the doorbell--no chime--to see whether I get some reaction from the device in isolation?

StephanWenger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB for your advice.    

I ordered a second video doorbell, which arrived recently.  Upon wiring up, without the diode that the chime instructions ask for, the setup showed the same behavior as previously reported.  The chime would not play, but the rest of the setup works.

To make "my" chime work, in the doorbell settings in the Arlo app, I had to set the chime type to digital (which I did before), and in addition--and that was the crux of the matter--select a fairly long chime duration.  I set it to the max, 10 seconds.  The default, four seconds, was too short and the chime stayed silent.  I think this is the solution I was originally searching for.

Also, I have a feeling that wiring in the diode as per chime's instruction can have negative effects, so I recommend against it.  Arlo's instructions to not specifically warn against doing so.  Perhaps they should.

I'll keep this setup powered up on the bench for a day or two, to see how stable it is.  For the past hour or so, it just works.

Meanwhile, the original Arlo video doorbell, when wired identically, is still dead.  I will send that one back to Arlo for warranty repair or for refund.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm glad you figured it out.  

@StephanWenger wrote:

To make "my" chime work, in the doorbell settings in the Arlo app, I had to set the chime type to digital (which I did before), and in addition--and that was the crux of the matter--select a fairly long chime duration.  I set it to the max, 10 seconds.  The default, four seconds, was too short and the chime stayed silent.  I think this is the solution I was originally searching for.

Yes - that was where I was aiming with the question on whether the doorbell was set up for a digital chime.  I should have suggested increasing the duration.  Though of course it wouldn't have mattered with the defective doorbell.

@StephanWenger wrote:

Meanwhile, the original Arlo video doorbell, when wired identically, is still dead.  I will send that one back to Arlo for warranty repair or for refund.

Exchanging with the seller is faster, and probably easier.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation