Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO Video Doorbell installed perfectly, but stopped working within 30 minutes.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Mjgraci89
Guide
Guide

I received my video doorbell (AVD1001) & installed it without much difficulty.  Found the network, updated the firmware & actually received three motion alerts.   After about 30 minutes, I received an Arlo System Update e-mail push of a "low battery detected - 12%".   Which is weird as I don't think it has a battery.  I checked the App & it reported the Doorbell was no longer connected to my WiFi.

I followed the instructions to reconnect (failed), used the reset pin (failed).  In both cases, the doorbell LED would not light up.  Rechecked the voltage coming up from the transformer (approx 17.5 V).  Then I removed the device from the App & started over.  Still the LED ring would not light up to sync or pair.

Contacted ARLO through chat, the agent really couldn't help me, but scheduled a call for tomorrow AM.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mjgraci89
Guide
Guide

Arlo Support called me promptly at 9:00AM ET as scheduled.  Interesting something changed overnight.  The LED on the bell went from completely dark (unresponsive) last night to flashing white this morning.  I tried to reinstall but still could not get it to be recognized by my Wifi.  When the technician called, together we went through the same reset process that I did on my own yesterday, except for turning the cellular connection on my iPhone off.  Allowing my phone to only connect by Wifi.  It worked!  The doorbell connected.

Still not sure why the doorbell appeared "dead & unresponsive" yesterday, but lit up this morning.  Could it have an internal battery the needed to be charged?

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Mjgraci89
Guide
Guide

Arlo Support called me promptly at 9:00AM ET as scheduled.  Interesting something changed overnight.  The LED on the bell went from completely dark (unresponsive) last night to flashing white this morning.  I tried to reinstall but still could not get it to be recognized by my Wifi.  When the technician called, together we went through the same reset process that I did on my own yesterday, except for turning the cellular connection on my iPhone off.  Allowing my phone to only connect by Wifi.  It worked!  The doorbell connected.

Still not sure why the doorbell appeared "dead & unresponsive" yesterday, but lit up this morning.  Could it have an internal battery the needed to be charged?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mjgraci89,

Thanks for letting us know you were able to resolve the issue. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any further complications.

Thanks!

JamesC

brh
Master
Master

@Mjgraci89,

There is a battery inside the doorbell, just not one that the user can change out. If the battery is discharged, it may take 3 or more hours to recharge it.

Brian

Mjgraci89
Guide
Guide
Thanks Brian, great information. Makes sense. That’s what happened to me. I guess the internal battery was low enough that it discharged during the install.
Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice
I turned off my breaker to test my connections so power was off at the doorbell only for a few moments. I received a low battery warning 15%.
brh
Master
Master

@Jsmitty66,

That might have discharged a little faster than normal, but the charge on the battery does not last very long once the power is removed.

Brian

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
What is the purpose of the battery? Is it just there to maintain WiFi, etc during quick power flashes?
acqflisu
Tutor
Tutor

I have been struggling to get the Arlo working.  I had similar experience.  After installation, it worked great for 30 minutes or less.  I got the notice about low battery, then the camera was dead.  I called tech support and they could not help me get it working and we determined it was a bad unit.  I got a new one and the same thing happened.  Although the voltage to the doorbell was good, I changed out the transformer because it was old and to get higher VA.  No luck, cannot get any lights to turn back on.  I have tried resetting, a hard reset pushing the reset and the doorbell button together, have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, nothing is working.  Any suggestions??

I really like the features of Arlo, but may have to try something else.

Mjgraci89
Guide
Guide

The one thing we did, that you didn’t mention, was to turn off the cellular connection on the phone.  I did everything you’ve tried, but when I turned off the cellular & allowed my phone to only connect by WiFi, the system installed & has been working flawlessly since.  Of course that suggestion isn’t or wasn’t in the documentation.

acqflisu
Tutor
Tutor
I wish I could test that approach. I am getting no life from the unit. No lights at all to start any kind of synchronization. I am wondering if the doorbell battery gets too low it does not come back to life. That seems to be what is happening. It is getting 18v power consistently.
Mjgraci89
Guide
Guide
I had that issue too. It had to “charge” overnight before it would connect. But it sounds like you were “wired” long enough to charge.
dallasd
Tutor
Tutor

Set mine up yesterday. Worked initially, but like many of you, I got the low battery warning (9%). Later yesterday, the unit died...no life. Arlo, what’s the issue and how do we fix it?? Sounds like it is an issue for many folks!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those with this issue, did you also set up the power kit that was included with your Arlo Video Doorbell? For more information, take a look here: How do I install the Power Kit for my Arlo Video Doorbell?

JamesC

acqflisu
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, installed the power kit. I have tried all the resetting methods recommended by tech support, in community discussions and in the documentation. The question I have is what to do now? Is there any hope for this unit? It is getting power but showing no signs of life. I have upgraded to a “transformer for video doorbells” and running out of options.
dallasd
Tutor
Tutor

You say you “had” the issue. Did you get it fixed, and if so, how?

dallasd
Tutor
Tutor

James, yes, I did install the power kit. My unit worked great for a short period of time. The doorbell worked, it was videotaping and alerting me on my phone for movement. Then, it just stopped working. No lights...no life.

Mjgraci89
Guide
Guide
The “dead” video Doorbell remained wired (powered) overnight. The next morning the device was lit & responsive. I assume it charged its battery. At the top of this thread I detailed the steps the Arlo technician walked me through to connect the device. The only step different from what I did initially (when the install failed), was to shut off cellular access for my iPhone.
dallasd
Tutor
Tutor

Well, inexplicably my video doorbell spontaneously came to life today! Don’t understand it, but it’s now working fine. Praying it continues....

acqflisu
Tutor
Tutor
Well, I am happy for you dallasd. I keep hoping for similar resurrection but it is not happening. Originally when I couldn’t figure it out I even had an electrician come out who checked power level and changed the transformer from an old one to a (cheap) new one. When that didn’t bring life to it, I got the better transformer. No reason it should not be lighting up.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

acqflisu,

If you've replaced the transformer, I recommend contacting the support team to further instigate the issue: Arlo Support Team

You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

acqflisu
Tutor
Tutor

Well, had a breakthrough.  Just for fun I took the diode off of the doorbell install.  Arlo rep and electrician said it would not make a difference and since I needed it for my digital chime i always tried to use it.  Taking it off and the unit came to life!  I don't know if the diode is bad or what the issue is, but it is working now without the diode.  I took out the diode and bypassed the chime and it is working.  I may try a new diode and see if it will work with the chime that way, or get a mechanical chime. 

I had another issue where the motion detection was not recording video to the library.  A restart of the unit through the app made them now come through.

acqflisu
Tutor
Tutor

Well, I had 3 great days with the video doorbell.  Worked great.  I installed a mechanical chime and re-activated the Arlo power unit.  It must have worked for a good 1-2 days with the new chime, then i got a message for low battery (6%) and now there is no power.  I switched the power unit back off and hope that makes an impact and may have to switch to a higher voltage transformer (will be my third replacement).  To be continued....

Melvnx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have posted about this very same issue! My doorbell works for maybe a day great, and then nothing. No lights. Then I have to reset. Ive checked voltages, upgraded transformers, sent back thinking defective, new one doing the same thing. From the looks of this thread, there hasn't been a resolution. I've tried all of this. And I can't get any help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Melvnx wrote:
I have posted about this very same issue! My doorbell works for maybe a day great, and then nothing. No lights. Then I have to reset. Ive checked voltages, upgraded transformers, sent back thinking defective, new one doing the same damn thing. From the looks of this thread, there hasn't been a resolution. I've tried all of this. And I can't get any help.

Perhaps try support then. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation