Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless doorbell range

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
RedGuitars
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live downtown.  It’s only 35-35’ from my front door to a busy street, both foot and vehicle traffic. Fairly flat, straight shot. Will the doorbell pick up every car/person that goes by?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RedGuitars wrote:

Will the doorbell pick up every car/person that goes by?

Motion detection range is spec'd at 10 feet for the wireless doorbell, but in practice vehicles can be be detected at longer range than people or animals.  You shouldn't get every vehicle/person, but you should expect quite a few vehicle recordings.

I think you will need to get low-voltage AC power to the doorbell to get acceptable battery life.  If you have a doorbell+chime installed now,  you likely already have that.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RedGuitars wrote:

Will the doorbell pick up every car/person that goes by?

Motion detection range is spec'd at 10 feet for the wireless doorbell, but in practice vehicles can be be detected at longer range than people or animals.  You shouldn't get every vehicle/person, but you should expect quite a few vehicle recordings.

I think you will need to get low-voltage AC power to the doorbell to get acceptable battery life.  If you have a doorbell+chime installed now,  you likely already have that.

RedGuitars
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s (will be) wireless only. What sort of battery life should I expect?  Thank you. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RedGuitars wrote:

It’s (will be) wireless only. What sort of battery life should I expect?  Thank you. 

It depends on how much motion it picks up - no way to predict that.

bmccle
Guide
Guide

If you haven’t done so, my advice to you is DO NOT buy the wireless doorbell.  I have one and the lag/delay on it is so bad it’s useless.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Lag is typically a connection issue cause by poor signal strength and/or quality. That's something the owner needs to troubleshoot since it's a local issue.

bmccle
Guide
Guide

That's weird.  When I installed a new Ring doorbell the lag went away.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Different hardware can certainly act differently. Without a detailed teardown it's impossible to know.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation