Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
grugly
Tutor
Tutor

I have set up using all the instructions, however the app is not detecting the vmb5000 when I try to connect the doorbell. Currently it is running seperate to the rest of the cameras on the main wifi but I would prefer to have this connected to the Smart hub. I have removed the device and re synched but each time it is only asking me to connect it to wifi and not with the option to connect to the base station.

39 REPLIES 39
camm2017
Tutor
Tutor

Come on Arlo, this is getting seriously ridiculous

Listen to your customers.

We want this device to connect to our hubs, not just on to a WiFi network

This thread has been ongoing for coming up a year now and all we get back from you is "I don't have an ETA for you at this time, but will let you know when I do"

Most of us here love Arlo products, but there are a few things you get seriously wrong.  This thread highlights one of those ... empty promises.  

Please go back to the product team and get some sort of indication of where this sits in your priority list and based on that, when we can expect to have this feature available.

You are innovating and adding new products all the time.  You need to seriously understand that innovation around existing products and support for them is just as important to your customers.  A lot of your ongoing revenue comes from existing customers and while there will always be a drive for companies to grow revenue through new sales and new products, you stand to stagnate and lose revenue if you don't treat your customers well and give them what they are after.

I recommend your products to people all the time but I do it with a caveat.  I tell them that your support for existing products is mediocre, your sales spin around new features needs to be read between the lines and you can't be relied on to listen to your customers.

[cynical tone] I await either your silence or your latest reply where you tell us that you can't provide an ETA at this time ... [sigh]

Signing off as one of your most supportive and loyal customers

Cam

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alexluch9 wrote:
Description on your website states that VMB4500 Base Station works with the Arlo wireless door bell, 

Not sure where you are looking.  But https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station says

• Compatible with: Arlo Ultra, Ultra 2, Essential wire-free, Pro 4, Pro 3, Pro 3 Floodlight Camera, Pro 2, Pro, Wire-Free, Wired Video Doorbell, and Audio Doorbell.

Wire-Free is admittedly confusing.  But it actually refers to the original Arlo camera (which was called the "Wire-Free".

In any event, Arlo has said they will add the feature to the Wire-Free Doorbell, but they haven't said when.

antonialcaine
Aspirant
Aspirant

I belief that they do not allow local recordings thinking that this will prevent people from buying the Arlo Smart Plan. I think this is a bad idea, because allowing local recording would add value to the product, and would encorage people to buy the Plan for additional features.

"Cutting" features without sense, like not allowing local recording, would make me change to another brand for this solution.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@antonialcaine wrote:

I belief that they do not allow local recordings thinking that this will prevent people from buying the Arlo Smart Plan. I think this is a bad idea, because allowing local recording would add value to the product, and would encorage people to buy the Plan for additional features.

"Cutting" features without sense, like not allowing local recording, would make me change to another brand for this solution.

I think in this case they just ran into a snag, and had to defer the feature of connecting the AVD2001 to the base.  Though it's been a while since the doorbell was launched, I suspect they will roll that out.  They normally don't pre-announce features, and they did pre-announce this one.

Though I agree that the limitations in local storage generally are likely intended to encourage purchase of subscriptions.

lpasquie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Arlo,

Do you have any update on the topic?

ORBICALI
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased the wireless as an upgrade to my Arlo wired video doorbell thinking the technology would be an improvement  beyond the wireless enhancement.  I Installed it ... then find out it will not connect to my base hub.  Y'all should have made this very clear in your marketing materials.  And, I recall you had the same issue when you launched the original wired video doorbell  (and it was subsequently fixed) so the issue should have been addressed with this device upgrade.

ORBICALI
Tutor
Tutor

This is a copy/past from your support page (before you buy) for the wireless doorbell .  It clearly implies it works with the base station.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/products/arlovideodoorbellwirefree.aspx#:~:text=Do%20I%20need,opt....

Do I need an Arlo base station to use my Arlo Essential Video Doorbell?

Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired (AVD1001). No, an Arlo SmartHub or base station is optional to u ...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ORBICALI wrote:

This is a copy/past from your support page (before you buy) for the wireless doorbell .  It clearly implies it works with the base station.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/products/arlovideodoorbellwirefree.aspx#:~:text=Do%20I%20need,opt....

Do I need an Arlo base station to use my Arlo Essential Video Doorbell?

Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired (AVD1001). No, an Arlo SmartHub or base station is optional to u ...

Note the Wired (AVD1001) - not Wireless (AVD2001)  I agree it's confusing to have that article on that page, but it doesn't say what you are thinking it does.

At the end of the day, Arlo has said they will add the feature you want.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.

ShaunCymru
Initiate
Initiate

So.. I’m a customer, another one who would consider themselves quite astute to technology but seems to have gotten the wrong end of the Arlo stick regarding functionality of the wireless Arlo doorbell to a home hub. 
The tonality of this thread is pretty shocking in regards to information disclosed and the lack of any sort of feature support roadmap.
Why all the secrecy? Why can’t, or why won’t someone escalate this to someone who can give us some specific answers?
I realise that giving us some sort of roadmap opens up another pathway for criticism when deadlines slip, but the reality is the world woks on a “best effort” approach - give us the benefit of doubt, you may even stay on track.

If this functionality is not going to happen, just tell us. If it is, share your proposed roadmap.

Come on Arlo, we have (and are continually) invested in your company, meet us half way?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AVD2001 Base Station/SmartHub support is now available with the latest AVD2001 firmware update. Make sure your Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell is using the latest firmware version and you will now be able to sync directly to your Base Station/SmartHub.

Compatible Base Stations/SmartHub models include: VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540 and VMB5000

Please note that HomeKit integration is not yet available for AVD2001. Now that Base Station support is available, we plan to add HomeKit integration early next year. Stay tuned for updates.

JamesC

PutskyD
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you @JamesC ! I would also like to thank Arlo for making this enhancement to allow the Wireless Doorbell (AVD2001) to connect to a base station.  This is a feature that many AVD2001 wireless doorbell users are looking for!  With this new firmware update, I was able to connect my wireless doorbell to my VMB4000 base station.  Just a note: I think you will need the latest update also for the Arlo App.  Then remove the device, before adding it again using the "add new device" option in the app. 

Norrisk66
Tutor
Tutor

It still won't record video when motion is sensed. You will still have to buy a subscription plan.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Norrisk66 wrote:

It still won't record video when motion is sensed. You will still have to buy a subscription plan.

Not quite true.  It will record to base station if local storage is installed and enabled.

But you can only see those recordings from the app if you have a VMB4540 or VMB5000 base, with direct access to local storage enabled.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

There are some limitations with direct access to local storage

• recordings can only be viewed on the app (not the browser)
  • recordings can only be viewed from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • no thumbnails
  • no manual recording
  • port forwarding (or a vpn) is needed for remote access, and can be challenging to set up.
dougblair
Apprentice
Apprentice

As a long time follower of this thread and truth be known an Arlo fan, I can confirm that it is possible to connect the AVD2001 wire-free video doorbell to a local base station. You'll need to update the doorbell firmware and update the mobile app as noted. Furthermore, you can also connect the AVD1001 wired video doorbell to the same base station. This updated functionality resolves my biggest issue with the AVD2001: you can get local recordings of the video from the doorbells on USB media in the event of an internet disconnect. As for watching the local video the easiest way is to eject the USB device and plug the drive into your computer. The video files are mp4's and contain the serial number of the camera in the name, and you will probably need to watch a couple of them to figure out video sources and timestamps. These are obviously not designed for casual browsing and will not have the polished layout of the app or website, but should give your local law enforcement agencies a starting point in the event of a security issue or break-in by some bad actor.

Took a while to get this feature relased, but now the wire free doorbell matches my exceptions. Bravo, Arlo!

Doug

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Thx for posting this.

@dougblair wrote:

As for watching the local video the easiest way is to eject the USB device and plug the drive into your computer.

This depends on what hub you have.  With a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) you can use direct access to local storage (to access videos from the app).

Discussion stats