Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unable to connect Essential Doorbell to WiFi

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Mike__J
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am on a 2.4GHZ network, the ssid and password is correct of course. When I go to "add new device" on the app, I just get a spinning wheel and eventually it times out. 

Looking at the router settings, the doorbell is actually connected to the local network, it just can't synch with the phone app. When I tried using a guest network or a VPN, the app was actually able to locate the doorbell, but the message was "the device is offline".

I can see zero written about this issue in support. obviously I have tried everything in the troubleshooting guide - factory resets etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mike__J
Aspirant
Aspirant

No I had already done that repeatedly. and yes it is appearing as connected to the network, but not being located by the app. 

I changed router and now it works. So the doorbell didn't like something in my router or the setup of the network. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried adding the camera using a PC browser (my.arlo.com)?

Mike__J
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried just now. the option for the doorbells is greyed out but I went through the process for a camera. Exactly the same result - timed out.

I will try on a different wifi network, otherwise i assume my doorbell is faulty...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure how the doorbell is showing as connected in the router settings if you can't set it up. I would reset the doorbell per the FAQ in the support section here (hold the hidden button on the back for >15 seconds) and try again.

Mike__J
Aspirant
Aspirant

No I had already done that repeatedly. and yes it is appearing as connected to the network, but not being located by the app. 

I changed router and now it works. So the doorbell didn't like something in my router or the setup of the network. 

GC12GLADIATOR
Tutor
Tutor

I ran into the exact same problem. My solution was to forget the QR code generated by the Arlo app and use another QR code generator which will translate your wifi SSID and password into the correct QR code. Print it and show it to your doorbell camera. This worked immediately for me. Hope it helps!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation