Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ceej
Star
Star

Latest update from JamesC from weeks ago:

Arlo Video Doorbell Wire-FreeAVD20011.8.0.0_4_4a16fed_758744cDecember 5, 2023
Arlo Base StationVMB40001.23.0.0_4353_f8a2b18December 6, 2023
Arlo Base StationVMB45001.23.0.0_4221_b69eb19December 6, 2023

Are these updates only rolling out to specific regions? I haven't gotten anything this month.

7 REPLIES 7
Ceej
Star
Star

Tagging @JamesC 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

These updates are in a slow roll out phase and may not be available to all users for a couple more weeks. We will provide more information here on the community once it becomes available.

JamesC

Ceej
Star
Star

The base stations haven't updated months later. Is there an issue with the rollout or was 1.23 only meant for specific regions?

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JamesC 

What is the function of checking for available firmware for, if you as a company determine the timescale of firmware releases anyway? If not used, why is it there in the app? To confuse users? Can you provide any specific examples when it's actually used? 

Ceej
Star
Star

Another firmware update was released a week ago for these base stations that also hasn't been sent.

Still on 1.21. Every past firmware that's been released has been sent within a week. I have to believe there are issues with the rollouts for these base stations.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Some are slow releases, whereas others are quicker, depending on what there. I don't think there is much to look forward to in terms of new features etc. 

Ceej
Star
Star

It's not new features I care about. If there are performance and/or security improvements being made, I'll take them. These are not wired cameras so both of those are of course a priority. I'm running a lot of other nearby transmitters for various purposes which can cause interference with things like the base stations. Firmware updates go a long way in doing things like optimizing signals to work around interference. I've witnessed connectivity get a lot better over the years with each passing update. Then of course there's security; I'm not saying Arlo base stations are insecure but every so often we hear of new ways people are attacking wireless surveillance.

Of course we don't know what exactly these updates are because AFAIK, James doesn't provide release notes for base station updates but I would imagine they are routine performance and security-related which makes them important. Keep in mind the base stations have been out for many years now and they are still being supported.

Regardless of the reason though, it's also the principle: the 1.23 rollout supposedly began in mid-December. Here we are in late April and not only did I never receive 1.23, but 1.24 is now out and I'm still on 1.21. Arlo should be more transparent in when these are getting rolled out, what specific regions they are rolling out to, how long the rollouts will take, and what is included in them. We currently don't get any of that info - it's literally just an update to a forum post with a new version number and date.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation