Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Show picture of who's at the door when the press the doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Terjemm
Initiate
Initiate
I bought the Arlo doorbell to be able to see who's at the door. Well, guess what: The Arlo doorbell doesn't do that! The single most important function a camera doorbell could have, and it isn't even there! Yes, i know, i can answer the call, wait several seconds for it to connect, and hope my microphone is turned off so they don't hear that I've actually answered. This is ludicrous. Why not just take a picture and send it to the phone and/or Google hub or whatever? How difficult can that be to implement?

I'm really dissatisfied with this purchase. First of all, the wifi access point has to be really close (no more than a few meters) to the doorbell, even through thin wooden walls, in order for it to maintain a stable video feed. And the lag time is just ludicrous. I understand that it connects to Arlo's servers to process and store the video, but couldn't it also just use the local LAN for clients that are connected to it? This is sloppy engineering work. Had I known how poorly this system is designed I would have chosen another one.

I can see from all the posts in here that I'm not the only one thinking like this, so Arlo: PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS! This system has great potential but you're knowingly holding back.
2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you saying you're not getting motion-activated recordings? Have you checked your active mode? Do you have a subscription for the doorbell? Check Settings, Subscription and then Manage Cameras. Have you looked through the doorbell settings to see if they're all set the way you want? Mute can be set in Call Settings.

Connection issues can be due to various reasons. What's you ISP upload speed? What other wireless devices may be near your doorbell and/or router that could be interfering with the signal. 

Use of a SmartHub to connect the doorbell to provides the local recordings you seem to want. 

Terjemm
Initiate
Initiate
Yes, I do get motion activated recordings, but that's an inadequate workaround. They place themselves in the pull down bar on my phone, so i don't easily see them when my doorbell rings. I just want a picture of who's ringing my door to pop up on my phone and on my Google nest hub so i can EASILY and IMMEDIATELY see who's at the door. I don't think that's an unreasonable wish. In fact I think that's how every doorbell should work, and it ought to be an easy fix which can be done entirely in software.

As for the connection issues: I work as a network engineer and have a deep understanding of how wireless connections work. The problem here is not that the doorbell has problem finding my access point, the problem is that the radio in the doorbell is too weak. To put it in layman's terms: while my access point is shouting, the doorbell is only whispering. So the doorbell can "hear" the access point without problems, but not the other way around. I assume that the reduced transmitting power at the doorbell is because of an intent to save battery , but it degrades the quality and usability of the doorbell.

"Smarthub'? I don't know what that is, but it sounds like I need to buy yet another equipment to get what I regard as basic functionality.
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation