Poor video quality on doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
KeppTech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have four cameras and two doorbells, one audio and one video, paired to a base station in my home. When streaming live from the front door video doorbell the quality is great. The recordings, though, are unusable. It looks like a bunch of Lego blocks. I've tried moving the base station closer and factory resetting the device. Nothing seems to work. Did I receive a defective unit? It has always done this. All other cameras work fine and this is not the farthest camera from my base station. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KeppTech
Aspirant
Aspirant

Figured it out, I think. I live in an older home and I'm about 95% sure the glass pane in my front door is leaded glass. Pretty sure that lead puts a pretty nice blocker by the doorbell. Looks like a video doorbell on the front door may simply be a non-starter for me. 😞 Darn.

Was never able to get a ticket in with their support, though. That's still weird. I tried at multiple times a day and all I got was the bot.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KeppTech,

From your description, it sounds like poor signal strength or interference is causing an issue.

Do you experience the same behavior if you download the videos and play them back on a different device?

JamesC

KeppTech
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base station is now about 12 feet away and still having the same issue.

If I download the video it actually looks worse, ha.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KeppTech,

I encourage you to open a ticket with the Arlo Support team through the Arlo mobile app under Settings > Support to further investigate this issue.

JamesC

KeppTech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I couldn't figure out how to submit a ticket. My only options under support are Community and Chat. Phone is greyed out. The Community link took me here and the Chat link took me to a bot that kept giving me the wrong answers. Community was the only way I could reach a human. Does the bit have a threshold where it'll eventually pass you off to a service rep? I didn't hit it, if so.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KeppTech wrote:

I couldn't figure out how to submit a ticket. My only options under support are Community and Chat. Phone is greyed out.

Do you have a subscription?

KeppTech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do!

It is still in the trial period, but it is active through January 2023. The cameras are all brand spanking new.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KeppTech wrote:

I do!

It is still in the trial period, but it is active through January 2023. The cameras are all brand spanking new.

Perhaps you were looking in the app at a time when phone support isn't available? They are open from 6 am to 6 pm Pacific time.

KeppTech
Aspirant
Aspirant

Figured it out, I think. I live in an older home and I'm about 95% sure the glass pane in my front door is leaded glass. Pretty sure that lead puts a pretty nice blocker by the doorbell. Looks like a video doorbell on the front door may simply be a non-starter for me. 😞 Darn.

Was never able to get a ticket in with their support, though. That's still weird. I tried at multiple times a day and all I got was the bot.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation