Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Poor battery life of Essential Video Doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
njc2002
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,
When I went through other posts on similar topic, I realised that the issue I am facing hasn’t been discussed on these community pages hence starting a new discussion.
I installed arlo system(6 camera + door bell) about 11 months back. The video door bell is hardwired using the recommended transformer. I am aware of the fact that the battery gets charged only when the camera is not in use.
The video door bell battery lasted for about 7 months. Then it started getting drained within 12 hours. I checked the transformer first - it was alright. Arlo replaced the battery. The new battery initially lasted for 3 weeks and now getting drained within 12 hours. I remove the battery and charge using the USB charger. Looks like the transformer is not able to charge the battery even though it is faultless. The sensitivity, number of alerts, activity zones - nothing has changed in the last 11 months. I tried to hide the camera by putting a black tape over it hoping that there will not be any alerts and the battery will get charged. It is clear that the defective battery is not an issue. I have removed the re-installed the video door bell. Not having a device off button doesn’t help. Any other thoughts? any solutions?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you measure the transformer voltage across the doorbell leads, or did you just measure it at the transformer itself?

I am wondering if the doorbell itself is defective - the warranty (in most places) is 12 months, so you'd need to contact support right away if you want to RMA the doorbell.  Though it is odd for two battery to initially charge, and then both quickly fail.

njc2002
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, Stephen.

I measured the voltage at the two terminals close to the bell.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it seems unlikely, it's possible the transformer isn't supplying sufficient current.

Have you tried disconnecting the transformer from the doorbell to see what happens? My batteries (2 wireless doorbells) last at least a couple of months with no transformer in use.

njc2002
Tutor
Tutor

I don't know what happened, but the battery is getting charged now-a-days.

I will wait and see if the issue comes back up again.

Thank you all for your suggestions. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation