Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Powayman2
Guide
Guide

Does anyone know if I can use a plug in transformer/ power supply  (not hardwired) for an Arlo wire free doorbell?  I trying to avoid removing the camera and charging the batteries every few months. 

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... as long as it meets the voltage requirements.

Several have used the setup this way, it's really the same as hardwired except the input of the transformer isn't directly wired into the home power.

You'll still need to run wire leads to terminals.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062491

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TomMac wrote:

Yes... as long as it meets the voltage requirements.

@Powayman2 , also it should meet the power requirements (10 VA or more).

Many of the plug-in transformers spec current (mA), not power (VA).  Just multiple the voltage x amps to compute the VA spec.

For instance, a transformer that says 24v and 1660 mA would have a VA of about 40 VA (24x1.660).

Powayman2
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the replies. I believe the arlo site says it must also be at least 1 amp, which isn't easy to find, as most are 500 or 800 mA.  So if someone has used one and can let me know the brand and model, that would be great. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Powayman2 wrote:

I believe the arlo site says it must also be at least 1 amp,

They say 10 VA here:

8-24V AC, and minimum power of 10VA

Multiple DC voltage times the amps to get VA.  So a 20v 500ma plug-in would give you the 10 VA you need.

Arlo did say 1 amp somewhere (not sure where), but I don't think they identified the voltage they were assuming.  Power is what matters, not current.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since I don't have a traditional chime nor access to original wiring, I used this transformer when I had the wired doorbell installed. It worked fine but I'm sure there are many others.

johnfoster
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, you can use a plug-in transformer/power supply for an Arlo wire-free doorbell to avoid the need to remove the camera and charge the batteries every few months. However, you need to make sure that the power supply meets the voltage and amperage requirements specified by Arlo for your particular model of doorbell.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Since I don't have a traditional chime nor access to original wiring, I used this transformer when I had the wired doorbell installed. It worked fine but I'm sure there are many others.

Wow! I never added the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VT6ZH5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation