Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
BenF12400
Star
Star

Just purchased Essential Video Doorbell.  Have 12 Arlo wirelss video cameras (original models - no problems when setup).  I realize setup of video doorbell is different (and no base needed). When I get to the step "Scan QR code on you video doorbell" that the app tells me to do, I get a message "you need to allow access to camera to scan QR code" (although iphone camera able to scan code inside the doorbell). I guess I don't know what that means. The video that accompanies the install app shows the app itself has the QR code - ? where?  I'm sure I am doing something wrong - but I cannot get beyond the part of the install where I am asked to scan the QR code.  Please help.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The QR code is generated from the WiFi info (network name and password) that you entered in the previous step.

No idea why the app is asking for permission to access the iPhone camera.  But you could just give it permission, and then just adjust the permissions in the Phone settings after onboarding.

BenF12400
Star
Star

There is no step before the "page" that says "Scan the QR code on your Arlo Doorbell" - the step before is to "keep your Arlo doorbell separate from mounting plate".  At no time does the app ask me my wifi info before the step to scan the qr code.  I have tried to photo the QR code both using my phone, and ipad (to get a larger photo) but camera does not click on the photo.  I have done a dozen resets.  I wait until the white lights stop flashing and quickly try to have the doorbell photo the qr but nothing happens. ?Bad unit?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BenF12400 wrote:

At no time does the app ask me my wifi info before the step to scan the qr code. 

It's been a while since I installed this, so I was going by this Arlo guide: https://youtu.be/wAkdQuYJzXk  There's no step where the phone is scanning a QR code in this video guide.

But that step is in the app, so that guide is incorrect. 

FWIW, my phone (iphone 12 mini) is able to scan the code inside the doorbell.

BenF12400
Star
Star

I conceded - returned the video doorbell camera 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation