Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Essential Wire Free Doorbell Motion Distance too short?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
georgev
Aspirant
Aspirant

It only detects motion like 2 feet from my front door. My doorbell sees much farther and I would like to know when someone is in my driveway or sidewalk not just when they are almost at my front door.  I have the sensitivity set to high (Mode, Armed Motion detection on is checked)  and in Devices, Doorbell, Video, Activity Zones the purple view square is enlarged to the whole view. I would think this would pick up all the cars, animals people walking on the sidewalk etc. and it would annoy me to turn it down. I only get notified when people are already at the front door. I have a full clear view no distractions from my front door to the driveway and street. What am I doing wrong?

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I responded to your earlier thread - suggesting that you confirm the range with the motion detection test, and also check that you removed the plastic wrap from the doorbell front.

FWIW, there is a downside to having a long detection range with the wirefree doorbell.  The more often motion is detected, the shorter the battery life.  Activity zones won't help the battery life, since they are applied in the cloud, and of course the camera can't be aimed.

georgev
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I saw your response on the original thread, thank you. I also responded. I don't think I'm understanding how the test works. I understand the more motion the more the battery drains, but I just need it to gout out a little more, they way it is now is pointless.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@georgev wrote:

I don't think I'm understanding how the test works. 

It just lets you see whenever the PIR motion sensors are triggered.  (PIR-> Passive InfraRed).  Those are the sensors that actually trigger the recording - not the camera itself.  You can then try different sensitivities, and see how well they work for you.

georgev
Aspirant
Aspirant

So am I supposed to see a red light when I'm in motion test mode? I have tried it outside at different lengths and nothing happens. Is there a pop up or something that says start test? All I can see is the white circle lights but those are only visible when you are close, they can not be seen from 10 - 15 feet away?

georgev
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I figured it out. I just ran a motion test in the dark, saw the amber light, set it to high and nothing from further away, it was not until I actually stepped up the one step to my front door that it started detecting motion. Motion would only happen when I was on the stoop, when I stepped down and walked around nothing would be detected. This should mean that the doorbell is installed either too low or too high (it is at 48" per instructions) and the sensor cant see past it. See picture attached, its a standard step and then my property slopes down to the street. If I re install higher will it clear the step and point downward, or should it be installed lower? It's a shame there will be multiple holes in my brick now but I'm pretty sure that is the problem. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@georgev wrote:

Motion would only happen when I was on the stoop, when I stepped down and walked around nothing would be detected. This should mean that the doorbell is installed either too low or too high (it is at 48" per instructions) and the sensor cant see past it. its a standard step and then my property slopes down to the street. If I re install higher will it clear the step and point downward, or should it be installed lower? 

Not sure about the diagnosis, but it is possible.

You might try using some industrial velcro (or some means that would let you easily change the position) before redrilling - letting you find the optimal spot.

You could also test the motion detection on level ground, just to make sure there isn't something wrong with the sensor.

georgev
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is very frustrating, I tried raising the door bell and it helped maybe a foot or two.  The way I have it set up it should be triggering all the cars, birds people walking on the sidewalk etc. I am only getting motion about 4 ft. away from my front door. Its 3 days now messing with this and getting the chime to work. Unfortunately I am going to return it and try a different brand. Anyone out there having this same problem?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@georgev wrote:

The way I have it set up it should be triggering all the cars, birds people walking on the sidewalk etc. 

Normally the max range for people is 20-25 feet.  Larger objects (especially warm ones, like cars) can be picked up from further away; the range is much less for smaller ones (birds).  The doorbell uses PIR (passive infrared) sensors, so it is triggering on a moving heat source.

It should definitely be further than 4 feet though.  So you could try exchanging the doorbell with the seller.

Did you try the motion test with the doorbell temporarily positioned so it covers level ground?  It'd be good to take the stairs out of the equation - it might make it easier to diagnose what is going on. 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation