Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Essential Doorbell WiFi issue

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RIG
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just installed the doorbell and running latest firmware.

There is a critical issue with the device as it completely drops from the wifi network at about 8m away (only one wall in between)
5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure it's not a display issue by force closing the app and re-opening it. If that doesn't make any difference, ensure that no wireless device that uses the 2.4GHz band isn't being turned on or otherwise activated when the dropout occurs. It's also possible it's a faulty device that swapping at the store could fix.

RIG
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • Definitely not a display issue (restarted app/phone many times) 
  • Not any other 2.4GHz device in the home experiences the issue, some are located way farther away than the intended location of the doorbell and no issues
  • The closer the doorbell is to the router the stronger the signal. The intended location of the doorbell is approx 10m from the router with a single wall in between. The strength signal icon turns red at approx 6m away and the device goes completely offline from 7m onwards
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the signal strength disappears at 7m, that's your problem. Something is blocking or otherwise interfering with the signal. It could be a faulty doorbell so swapping at the store may be the solution. Otherwise, you have to figure out what's causing the signal issue. A WiFi extender may be needed to get the proper connection.

RIG
Aspirant
Aspirant

For a premium product to lose connection after a few meters, that is really poor!

Have tested with a Ring doorbell and no problems with connecting to the wifi at the intended location of 10m away from the router, which is only separated by 1 wall (front door wall).

I did take back the original doorbell and had it swapped thinking that it may be a faulty one, but the replacement doorbell behaves the same way.

I have a simple network setup with only about 5-6 devices (laptops and phones) connected to the router at any one-time and do not experience this issue, some of those devices are being used on the second story right at the back of the house with no issues.

I'm guessing that the wifi antenna built into the doorbell is perhaps substandard and may require the use of an extender.

So question to the forum...

How far is your fully operational doorbell from the router?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Mine is connected to a router ~4 meters away from the doorbell which is on aluminum trim mounted on a wood frame house.

Everyone's environment is different which is hard to try to quantify from afar.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation