Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Distance detection

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
At what distance does the motion detection work if it is set to a sensitivity of 100?
100 is the most sensitivity right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:

The only problem is the distance, so nothing to do on it?

Setting the motion sensitivity is all you can do, and I think you've already maxed it. 

If you are willing to purchase a camera, you could place that on the left wall.  You can also cross-trigger, so when the camera detects motion the doorbell would also record.  But of course that requires investing in another camera.   

It'd be great if Arlo had inexpensive motion sensors, but unfortunately they don't.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These cameras use PIR sensors like those found in motion detection external lights. All devices of this sort have a limited range. Arlo specs the range at UP TO 25 feet for people ("up to" is important) so setting the sensitivity to 100 would get you that. Of course, other factors get in there such as the direction of motion, etc. which is true of any PIR sensor device.

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
And if all settings are correct, but this distance is not achieved. What can I do about it then?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot of the camera view for suggestions.

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

PIR sensors don't work reliably through glass, and it appears that is what you are trying to do.

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:
no, there is no glass in front of it. 

There is certainly something between the camera and the garage.  Can you explain what it is?

Have you tried moving the camera into the garage?

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
What do you meen?
Can you show/sign it on the picture?
Is it not a reflection?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:
What do you meen?
Can you show/sign it on the picture?
Is it not a reflection?

I'm just looking at your picture...

printscreen.png

It looks like there is some brick on the left and something oval blocking part of the field of view.  It appeared to me that the camera was aimed through a portal of some kind, and not actually in the garage.

I guess that could be misleading as there is a fish-eye effect if you use the widest field of view.  Still, I am having some trouble visualizing the space and camera location.

You could test motion detection using the built-in motion detection test. https://kb.arlo.com/1114344/How-do-I-use-the-motion-detection-test-for-my-Arlo-device

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is the situation.. look attachment
BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

i think the distance is now 12 /13 feet. Look the situation on the picture

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:

i think the distance is now 12 /13 feet. Look the situation on the picture

Thx, that helps quite a bit.  I am guessing that you might not be seeing notifications from the car?

Have you tried the motion detection test?  https://kb.arlo.com/1114344/How-do-I-use-the-motion-detection-test-for-my-Arlo-device

One thing to keep in mind is that the PIR sensors are designed to detect motion across the field of view.  They aren't as good at detecting motion directly towards the camera.  Putting the camera on the side of the house (the left wall in the picture, aimed across the driveway) might work better.  You could mount it higher and angle it downwards if you don't want to cover the neighboring car.

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, it was the same result.

It is a doorbell, so i can't place it very high.  So the only solution is to place it on the left wall?
Or is it possible to do some setting?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:

It is a doorbell, so i can't place it very high. 

Sorry, I lost track of the fact that it is a doorbell.  Obviously moving it isn't a good option and I am not thinking of much you can do.

Are you getting reliable detection when people walk up to the door?  Or is that also inconsistent?

BooIJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get good detection if people walk to the door. That works great. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BooIJ wrote:

Setting the motion sensitivity is all you can do, and I think you've already maxed it. 

If you are willing to purchase a camera, you could place that on the left wall.  You can also cross-trigger, so when the camera detects motion the doorbell would also record.  But of course that requires investing in another camera.   

It'd be great if Arlo had inexpensive motion sensors, but unfortunately they don't.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation