Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
yuwf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I am currently in the process of selecting different doorbell systems. During my comparison, I found that your company offers the Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell, which can connect to the SmartHub. I noticed that there is a package available that includes local storage (Arlo Essential Door Bell 4-in-1 Package (B) (AVD2001B+AC2001+VMA2400+VMB4540)) selling in my home country.

However, some reviews mention that even when connected to the SmartHub, it does not support local storage of video clip. This means it cannot use the SmartHub for storage like the Arlo Pro 5. To store or view recordings, a subscription to Arlo Secure is required.

Due to concerns that Arlo’s might discontinue support for this product, or internet connectivity might be interrupted. I would like to know if the Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell can record video clips to the SmartHub when motion is detected without requiring a subscription. Additionally, can it function without an internet connection, as long as it is on the same local network as the SmartHub?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yuwf wrote:

there is a package available that includes local storage (Arlo Essential Door Bell 4-in-1 Package (B) (AVD2001B+AC2001+VMA2400+VMB4540)) selling in my home country.

However, some reviews mention that even when connected to the SmartHub, it does not support local storage of video clip.

Those reviews are wrong.  The local storage is available for the AVD2001B when it is connected to the smarthub.

There are newer doorbell models (Gen 2).  They can't be connected to smarthubs at the moment (though Arlo says they will add that).  Note Arlo hasn't said when.

yuwf
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, Stephen.

It is great to know that local storage is available for the doorbell. Local storage is important to me because I can have a backup at my place.

I have read the post asking about the connection of the new doorbell to smarthub or basestation, but it seems to be 2 or 3 years old and still hasn’t been addressed. That is the reason I don’t want the new doorbell model. This also applies to the Ring. The Ring peephole cam is much more suitable for me, but it cannot record without a subscription. In addition, considering the subscription price of Ring increases over the past years, it made me search for a product like the Arlo Essential Doorbell, which supports local storage.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yuwf wrote:

I have read the post asking about the connection of the new doorbell to smarthub or basestation, but it seems to be 2 or 3 years old and still hasn’t been addressed.

Not that long - the Gen 2 doorbells were launched Oct 2023.

FWIW, in my opinion the Gen 2 cameras should have had this feature when released.  While Arlo hasn't said when the new cameras will support smarthubs, I think it is likely fairly soon.  So one option is to wait for that before purchase.

Note that Gen 2 doorbells

• include a 2K model (which is a plus)
  • do not have a user-replacable battery (which is a minus)
  • have a shorter motion detection range than the AVD2001 (which sometimes is a good thing, sometimes not so good).
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation