Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Anolte24
Follower
Follower
Does the Arlo Wireless chime work with the new Arlo wireless video doorbell? I see it does not for the wired. I really hope it does or this thing is not helpful being that you or anyone in the house would need to have their phone handy if someone is at the door.
4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The existing chime works with the wired doorbell if both are paired to a base or hub. The new wireless doorbell can't yet be paired to a base/hub so can't work with the existing chime. Maybe with time these can be paired to a base and/or a new chime will appear.

dougblair
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have some empirical evidence that both a wired and a wire free video doorbell will work with the Arlo Chime.

My WIRED doorbell is connected to my local base station, and the Arlo Chime is too. WIRED doorbell is associated with the Chime and I can select a Melodyt and play it when the WIRED doorbell is pressed.

My WIRE FREE video doorbell will not connect to the base station directly, but I have it on a lower-security guest network on the router supplied by my cable company, outside my firewall. My WIRE FREE video doorbell will correctly trigger the Arlo chime with a different melody.

I think this confusion is the result of some manual pages that were not updated when the WIRE FREE model was released. The activation of the Chime takes place in cloud processing, and if the devices are associated with the same ACCOUNT they will be able to trigger each other. I can even ring my local chime when there is motion or another event in my mom's house as long as both houses are on the same ACCOUNT. I also can trigger a camera in mom's house when someone presses the wire free doorbell at my house (though why one would want to do this is a mystery 🙂 ).

I have noticed a slight lag when the wire-free doorbell triggers the chime, because that event has to go to the cloud for processing and then back down to my local base station too play the chime. This is faster when the WIRED doorbell makes the same connection locally through just the local base station.

micjun
Aspirant
Aspirant

I asked Arlo support on this as I wanted to get a chime for my new essential wireless doorbell (note I don't have a base station, I only have the wireless doorbell connected to my WiFi)

Their response is: 

The chime is not compatible with the new wireless video doorbell at all, as the chime doesn't connect to WiFi and the new doorbell doesn't connected to the base station (yet).

In addition to this I can't change the ringtone from when the doorbell is rung, which means I can't distinguish between when someone is calling me or the bell is rung....which I think is a flaw in the Arlo development to be honest

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A doorbell call is pretty obvious from the phone's reaction, with the Arlo call interface popping up. I do agree that a different ringtone would be nice but I suspect that has to do with how Arlo has integrated its call with the existing phone app. If this is the case, the capability may never exist. Only a programmer with knowledge of the app and phone interaction could truly answer this and I'm not one of them.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation