Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
cheese_za
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is directed to Arlo Support,

As reported a few times in this community, there has been a lot of struggle with setting up the chime 2.

The issue is being unable to connect the chime 2 to your wireless access point.

As noted in other posts, the chime 2 does not support any special characters in the wifi access point name (SSID) or password. I will also go on to say that the wifi access point name cannot be longer than 6 characters either (in my testing).

In my experience, the chime 2 and the Arlo doorbell will not connect to the wireless network from a TP-Link WPA4220 powerline adapter. This could be the case for the wifi networks from all TP-link powerline adapters or even all TP-link wireless access points in general.

Judging from the shambles this currently is, having your R&D test all the popular routers/wireless access points would be asking for too much.

Please have your app developers update the installation process for chime 2 to include messaging about the special characters and potential wifi access point incompatibility. Please have your web developers to include the same info in the chime 2 FAQ.

Also, what is the potential that the chime 2 could be updated to be able to connect to Arlo base stations?

Please feel free to reach out if you need any further information.

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I will pass your feedback along to the development team for consideration.

JamesC

bbillp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Home Arlo: VMB5000NA smart hub + Arlo Pro Camera + Arlo Essential Wireless Doorbell + 2 Arlo cameras , all these work fine.    Apple IPAD IOS 16, Apple Iphone IOS 15

BUT

Chime2 i impossible to connect to my WiFi or to the VMB5000NA.

Hold Reset on the Chime 2

perform the ‘add device’

Connects to the Chime 2 ARLO net

I select my VMB5000NA for the network

The Chime 2 Amber LED blinks a few times

The APP Circle goes round and round ‘Fails to Connect’  

cheese_za
Aspirant
Aspirant

@bbillp I had exactly the same thing happen to me.

Your wifi password and AP name may only contain letters and numbers. Also, the AP name cannot be longer than 6 characters in my experience. If you are able to, change the 2.4ghz AP name & password. I was also able to hide that SSID. This was with a Netgear wireless access point.

What router/AP are you connecting to?

cheese_za
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC  Thank you. I hope they can implement the necessary changes quickly.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bbillp wrote:

Connects to the Chime 2 ARLO net

I select my VMB5000NA for the network

That won't work, the chime 2 has to be connected to your home wifi - not the closed wifi from the smarthub.

cheese_za
Aspirant
Aspirant

@bbillp This is correct.

The chime 2 cannot connect to an Arlo base station or hub. It can only connect to a wifi access point.

bbillp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m sure the fact that the Chime2 will not connect to a Smart Hub is Well posted on the product box, on the little paper that comes with the product, In Arlo Secure App and in the INSTALLATION instructions BUT IT ISN’T , WHAT A WASTE OF TIME 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I agree that it would be better if Arlo provided more written materials on installation steps, and didn't just say "use the app".

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation