Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
svh9633
Tutor
Tutor

Hi!
Just bought the wire-less doorbell. Have some cameras and a smarthub from Arlo. Read that support for doorbells are now available for smart hub connection as stated in other threads here in the community. Alas it was not. 

Is this a joke? isn't eco system of cameras your selling point? Not only did I every time I installed a camera encounter issues in the commissioning (I am UX-designer and have worked a lot with software/hardware experiences) but also now I was fooled by your own statements that wire-less doorbell works with your system, why would it not?!

Deeply troubled by the experience that you are offering, making me wonder if I should continue with this system at all.

I have read that there are some workarounds. Like resetting the whole system, install one camera, delete it and then you can install the wire-free doorbell.

Or that one can use the android app instead where it works. But I do not have the time to fiddle around to make your system work with your devices. That's the whole point of getting products from the same company, you would assume that they are compatible. It is year 2021 after all.

(Sorry about my ranting, but it makes me upset)

BR

Sam

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@svh9633 wrote:

Just bought the wire-less doorbell. Have some cameras and a smarthub from Arlo. Read that support for doorbells are now available for smart hub connection as stated in other threads here in the community.

Where did you see this? 

Wired doorbells can be connected to either your home wifi or a smarthub, but wireless doorbells can only be connected to your home wifi.

svh9633
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo SmartHubs - VMB5000 and VMB4540 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell (AVD1001). Please ensure that your SmartHub firmware is updated to the latest version, as listed below.

VMB5000 1.16.1.1_475_71659aa
VMB4540 1.16.1.1_461_71659aa
VMB4000 1.16.1.1_3348_facf74c
VMB4500 1.16.1.1_3260_facf74c

To migrate your Arlo Video Doorbell from WiFi connection to your Arlo base-station or SmartHub, please remove it from your account, wait for the factory reset to complete (LED ring should be solid white) then re-onboard.

This is the full list of supported base-stations and SmartHubs for the Arlo Video Doorbell.

JamesC

From
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/Connecting-Arlo-Video-doorbell-to-Smarthub/td-p/17...

When reading that you assume that all doorbell cameras are supported, wired or not. The wires is only for power, right? So what is the issue here?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

svh9633,

I've updated the post you've mentioned to specify the wired video doorbell model (AVD1001). As mentioned by StephenB, the wire free doorbell (AVD2001) is not yet compatible with base stations or smarthubs.

JamesC

WStemp
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Wired AVDb. Which should I prefer to use, WiFi or Smarthub? and Why?

Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WStemp wrote:

I have a Wired AVDb. Which should I prefer to use, WiFi or Smarthub? and Why?

The main benefit of the smarthub is that it gives you local storage of your videos.  The biggest drawback is that the wifi range can be less than a home mesh network.

If you don't already have a smarthub, then I'd suggest starting w/o one, as you can switch later on if you want.  They aren't very available at the moment.

royce_wa05
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Where did you see?

Arlo SmartHubs - VMB5000 and VMB4540 are now compatible with the Arlo Video Doorbell (AVD1001). Please ensure that your SmartHub firmware is updated to the latest version.

svh9633
Tutor
Tutor
It was not true, a typo from support, they have changed that text now, on which I based my decision on when buying my doorbell.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation