Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo wireless Doorbell triggers Google Homes that someone is at my Doorbell for evry motion detected

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
simdrey
Tutor
Tutor

Lately my doorbell has started to notify all my Google Home devices that Someone is at your doorbell, when detecting motion. Previously it only notified when someone pressed the button. This is somewhat irritating, to say the least. How can I configure the doorbell to only activate my Google Homes with a door bell press?

19 REPLIES 19
ThomasGM
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a change on the doorbell in the past few weeks. I have Google home at the house and when someone would ring my doorbell I get an audio alarm someone is at the front door. However in the past few week I have found that if I walk out at night and the doorbell detects a person even if I don't ring the doorbell that is will send an audio alert that someone is at the front door. I have looked around the app trying to see where this setting may be but I can't find anything on this. And it only happens at night not during the day. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@simdrey wrote:

How can I configure the doorbell to only activate my Google Homes with a door bell press?

I don't use google home, but we are seeing some other posts on this.

I suggest disabling push notifications in the doorbell rule (at least as a test), and see if that stops the unwanted behavior.  That will also disable notifications pushed to your mobile devices.

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

apm_music
Aspirant
Aspirant
Glad to hear I am not alone. Two days ago my Google home started notifying me of any motion detected on any of my cameras. My mother taking out the trash triggered all of my Google Home devices at least 10 times, sending loud announcements throughout the home. Previously, the only time I would get a notification was when the button was pressed and that worked perfectly for me. Hopefully a fix is in store.
simdrey
Tutor
Tutor

Exactly. But I only have this on my door bell. And that's my only Essential device using Smart Detection (animals, person, car, etc) And google announces "Person detected at your doorbell" and not "Somone is at your door bell" when button is pressed.

SubieCyclist
Aspirant
Aspirant
What happened today on the backend? I’ve had several Arlo cameras of various types (Pro 4, Floodlight, multiple doorbells) and all has worked perfectly with my Sonos and Google assistant for weeks.

Today for some unknown reason I get non-stop voice notifications on ALL of my Sonos devices of any motion detected. I should ONLY get doorbell button presses. What is going on?!!!
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Seeing the same thing and it's super annoying.  I'm about to just rip the thing off my house.

DanielP3
Aspirant
Aspirant
The doorbell hasn’t started sending audio notifications via google home when motion is detected (someone is at doorbell).
It’s never done this before.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DanielP3 wrote:
The doorbell hasn’t started sending audio notifications via google home when motion is detected (someone is at doorbell).
It’s never done this before.

Several others have reported this too.   I don't think there's much you can do in the short term to fix this, other than disabling push notifications for motion recordings in the doorbell rule(s).  That of course is just a work-around.

@JamesC : Is this problem already escalated?  Is there any need for folks seeing this to contact support?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Seeing the same thing and it's super annoying.  I'm about to just rip the thing off my house.

There are several reports here, and it likely is escalated to development already.

One workaround is to disable push notifications in the rule(s) for the doorbell.  At least I think that should prevent google home from getting the motion alerts.  You could also disarm the doorbell of course.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SubieCyclist, dapak, simdrey, apm_music

What google assistant device are you experiencing this on? Are all of your Arlo devices behaving the same way or is this a select few?

Are you able to provide any screenshots along with time stamps of the notifications?

Is the issue still occurring or was this intermittent?

JamesC

lawrencety
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is happening to me too. This started yesterday and is still happening. 

I only have one Arlo device (Wire-free Video Doorbell), all of my google home devices (3x Nest minis, Nest Hub Max) are ringing at the same time when a person or a car goes across the camera.

I have smart notifications on for detecting people, vehicles, packages etc. But before yesterday, the app would just create a push notification on my phone. Now it is ringing all the google home devices as well.

ThomasGM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you this worked for me. I disabled the push notifications on the doorbell and it has stopped.

jmurphatron
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is occurring with me as well. It began a few days ago and was occurring this morning until I disabled notifications as a workaround. Also not intermittent. It's occurred consistently on motion detection since it began. I have the Arlo AVD1001 and 4 Nest Minis which all ring when motion is detected. 

When this first occurred, I saw this as a nice feature but without some sort of user configurable notification throttling and a way to toggle the feature in general, it ends up being more of a nuisance. 

jrosen17
Aspirant
Aspirant

AVD1001

FW: 1.140.0_931_5ed3664_1c4138d

HW: 1.2

Smart Notifications enabled: People, Vehicles, Animals, All other Motion

I get, vehicle, people, and animal voice/audible alerts on every/all Google-enabled devices:

Google Home

Google Mini

Sonos Soundbar

Sonos Move

I have other Arlo cameras with smart notifications enabled (Mostly Pro2 cameras) which I get people, animals, etc notifications in the Arlo app ( on Andriod), but do not get announced by Google.  Seems only the Doorbell gets announced.

Cool feature, but I would like to limit/control which Google devices announce this.  I can't see any settings for this in the Google Home app, or Arlo app.  I am running Samsung Smartthings integration as well with both Google and Arlo connected.

This seems to have started a few days ago.  I'm not sure what screenshots/timestamps you would like to see, but I can just walk out to my front porch and trigger it on-demand, or send my dog out, or drive my car down the driveway.

Thanks

simdrey
Tutor
Tutor

Nest Hub, Google Mini 1 and 2, Google Home Hub, Google Home. They all give me alerts. 

2 Work arounds: 1. Limit Smart Alerts to e.g. only trigger alerts for People (that decreases the amount of alerts). 2. Disable Push notification. I have done the latter as I got fed up beeing alerted in the middle of the night because a cat passed my doorbell.

jo48
Aspirant
Aspirant

I actually think this feature is great when using smart notifications narrowed down to vehicles and people.

All my google homes were announcing alerts for people and vehicles(per my notification setting) from my pro 4 cameras and wireless doorbells.

@JamesC: Seems like this has been disabled now. When can we have this feature back? Do we just need to expose a setting for customers that do want this feature?

SubieCyclist
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can we confirm that this has been fixed? I ONLY want my Sonos devices to announce when a doorbell is pressed.

It would be a neat feature for those that want motion alerts.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SubieCyclist wrote:
Can we confirm that this has been fixed? I ONLY want my Sonos devices to announce when a doorbell is pressed.

I believe it has.  You can always try enabling it, and see.

@SubieCyclist wrote:
It would be a neat feature for those that want motion alerts.

I agree, though of course there needs to be appropriate settings - since clearly many folks won't want that. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is reviewing the functionality of this this feature and has temporarily been disabled this while they work to allow more customization for announcements. I will provide an update once this feature has been re-enabled.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation