Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wirefree Doorbell Install Steps Do Not Even Prompt to Connect to Hub

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jneau
Aspirant
Aspirant
Trying to connect a video doorbell at my cabin. In the install steps, before I’ve even done anything with the camera itself I’m told that this camera requires a 2.4g router to connect to. Is it not able to pair with my hub?

The steps for the WIRED doorbell ask to connect to a hub…

I have a VMB4000r3 running 1.16.5.7 (at cabin) and a VMB4540r2 running 1.16.5.7 (at home). Regardless of where I am, the WIRED one asks which of the two hubs I want to connect to, but the WIRELESS says “requires 2.4g network”.

What gives? If I can’t pair this with my lake devices this is stupid.
3 REPLIES 3
jneau
Aspirant
Aspirant
And I don’t care so much whether it connects directly to my router or the hub, but I want to be able to arm and disarm all of my devices under a single security setting. Having the doorbell show up separately at the same level of a hub is stupid
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jneau wrote:
And I don’t care so much whether it connects directly to my router or the hub, but I want to be able to arm and disarm all of my devices under a single security setting. Having the doorbell show up separately at the same level of a hub is stupid

At the moment, the wirefree doorbell has to connect to your home wifi on the 2.4 ghz band.

The wired doorbell can be paired to a base station, the wire-free doorbell currently can't be.  Arlo is planning to add that ability, but hasn't announced a timetable.

FWIW, although I prefer to use a hub myself, many folks view it as an added complication - especially if they have a mesh network deployed.   And of course it does add to the cost.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jneau wrote:
Trying to connect a video doorbell at my cabin. In the install steps, before I’ve even done anything with the camera itself I’m told that this camera requires a 2.4g router to connect to. Is it not able to pair with my hub?

The wirefree doorbell (AVD2001) can only connect to home wifi at the moment - it cannot be paired with a base.  Arlo says they are planning to add this feature, but haven't said when.

The older AVD1001 (wired) doorbell can be paired with a base, and might be a better choice for a remote cabin anyway, since the it doesn't need to be charged.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation