Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
but_f
Aspirant
Aspirant

My ADV2001 connects to my WIFI (it's in the station list on my router), and I get the chime after pointing it at the QR code of my app and all, but it then fails to be discovered by the app.
It's a 2.4GHz network, and setup worked with my other outdoor camera easily after a router reset and password change. I've tried removing and re-adding the doorbell, as well as factory resetting it with a pin into the back. Done everything that was suggested in the support pages, to no avail.

The camera is less than a year old and I'd expect warranty support, but logging in online, it suggests I'd need to buy a support package. The chat bot is useless and I'm very frustrated having tried everything and wasted nearly a full day on this.

The security mode on the network is WPA2(AES)-PSK, single SSID has been disabled to make sure we can isolate and use the 2.4Ghz network, I've tried it with WIFI 5 mode on and off, no success either way. Network mode is 802.11/b/g/n/ac/ax with a channel bandwidth of of 20MHz/40MHz. There are thirteen frequency channels between 2412 and 2472 MHz, set to auto mode.

I've successfully connected it to the app when setting up a hotspot on my phone and doing the setup from the tablet. So it seems to be something with the network, or the doorbell's failure to actually complete a factory reset and forget previous settings. Naturally, the phone hotspot is not a permanent solution. Having done a fresh app install on the tablet and successfully connected through that app, it can't be an issue within the app.

Any tips on advanced WIFI settings to get this to work? I'm fed up with trial and error (so far exclusively error). I'd appreciate any leads.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since connecting to your hotspot worked, set that hotspot to the same SSID and password your router uses and turn the router off temporarily. If the doorbell connects then, turn off the hotspot and turn the router on. It should then work with your home network.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since connecting to your hotspot worked, set that hotspot to the same SSID and password your router uses and turn the router off temporarily. If the doorbell connects then, turn off the hotspot and turn the router on. It should then work with your home network.

but_f
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you @jguerdat , this worked a treat! A good workaround and kudos for your problem-solving ideas.

As a recommendation to Arlo, to avoid relying on community workarounds: consider integrating NFC for connecting to the network and app for future devices.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@but_f wrote:

As a recommendation to Arlo, to avoid relying on community workarounds: consider integrating NFC for connecting to the network and app for future devices.

They've created an install mess over the years - far too much friction in what should be a simple process. 

You shouldn't need to specify what camera/doorbell model you are adding in "add device", and the final step of adding the camera/doorbell to the account after it connects to your wifi should be rock-solid, even if the phone isn't connected to your home wifi at all.  

In addition, IMO it should be possible to install any of the devices using a PC instead of a phone.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation