Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
antita
Tutor
Tutor

Is it planned to make this compatible with the smarthub.. if so when?

there wasn't (and still isn't) anything on the product webpage suggesting that it wouldn't be compatible when I bought the camera, and now I'm coming to the end of the free trial there is no way to locally record video, which is extremely poor given the cost of the devices. I certainly couldn't recommend this to anyone without this functionality.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AVD2001 Base Station/SmartHub support is now available with the latest AVD2001 firmware update. Make sure your Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell is using the latest firmware version and you will now be able to sync directly to your Base Station/SmartHub.

Compatible Base Stations/SmartHub models include: VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540 and VMB5000

Please note that HomeKit integration is not yet available for AVD2001. Now that Base Station support is available, we plan to add HomeKit integration early next year. Stay tuned for updates.

JamesC

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
kingcasimir1
Initiate
Initiate
I feel the same!

I bought the video doorbell wire free+vmb4550 bundle on Amazon and now realised that the doorbell cannot connect to the smart hub at all. Why Arlo and Amazon sold these as a bundle when the wire free doorbell can't even connect to the smart hub???
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Essential Video Doorbell Wire-Free does not currently support connection to any Arlo base station or Arlo SmartHub. It connects directly to your home WiFi network (2.4 GHz). It is still capable of cross-triggering your other Arlo cameras and chimes (go to Modes and create custom interactions that meet your desired needs via the Arlo App). 

We do plan to support this in the future but I do not have any ETA for release. Keep an eye here on the community and arlo.com for announcements and updates.

JamesC

pafawex
Initiate
Initiate

Hi James,

What's the update on this support.  I've seen post back in March 2021 saying its coming soon yet nothing still.  Are there any ETA's on this?

I must say I'm very very frustrated with your products.  I thought I'd go with Arlo (the expensive option) as it seemed the best quality.  First I buy the Ultra camera then find out that if your just using local recording then you can't have zones even if the camera is permanently plugged in unlike the Pro3's.  So ditched the Ultras and got the Pro's 3.  Now find in the small print that the wired doorbell dose connect to a base station but the wireless one doesn't. 

It feels that as a customer your never getting the full picture until you purchase then discover something that one would never even consider wouldn't work doesn't work.  Currently I just feel like giving up and ditching the lot and buying a Eufy solution. 

I work in IT designing and implementing huge complex systems and this has been just as complicated trying to work out what doesn't and does work with what I'm buying as some of the stuff I work with.  As a home consumer product this should never be the case. 

Please for the sake of my sanity let the community know if this is actually coming and what the proposed release date is.

Many thanks

QuimS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello, I am Spanish and with 2 bells avd1001 and avd2001 and only the avd1001 is compatible but it is a very bad bell! the avd2001 seems to be better and better features, but it cannot connect to the basehub and as it does not connect it is not compatible with apple homekit, they have been indicating that it will be updated for months but nothing.
also the bells avd1001 every time a car passes it is recording in the cloud or to the base, it is always recording it is not able to record only what is indicated.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@QuimS wrote:

every time a car passes it is recording in the cloud or to the base, it is always recording it is not able to record only what is indicated.

1. Have you tried setting up activity zones that exclude the street (or as much as it as practical)?
  2. Have you tried reducing the motion sensitivity?

Smart Notifications can filter vehicle notifications - but not the recordings.

@QuimS wrote:

ADV2001 Video doorbell and VMB4540r2

Arlo says they are planning to add the feature to the AVD2001, but they haven't said when.

QuimS
Apprentice
Apprentice

If I have reduced sensibility of detection.
Of course, the cars are always recorded, it does not warn but it is always recording cars, compared to the eufy doorbell it only records and warns when a person passes by.
make it better, sorry.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@QuimS wrote:

make it better, sorry.

FWIW, I don't work for Arlo, I am just another customer.

The AVD2001 has the same filtering options as the AVD1001, so there is no difference there.

If you are wiring to a transformer, then the most significant differences are

• the AVD1001 has foresight, the AVD2001 does not.
  • the AVD2001 can be used with lower voltage transformers
  • the AVD2001 is thicker
lpasquie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there an update on this topic?

It is very frustrating not to be able to connect the Video DoorBell WireFree (AVD2001) to the SmartHub (VMB4540)...

Is it expected to come soon?

QuimS
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is still not possible to say that they will release an update soon but they have been waiting for months.

lpasquie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Let's hope that this bug will be fixed soon...

It is incredible that you cannot choose between "Home Wifi" and "SmartHub" for the connection of the Video DoorBell WireFree (AVD2001).

In my case, all Outdoor Cams are connected to the "SmartHub".  This is why I want to connect my Video Doorbell to the same hub.

Let's hope that the fix will come soon!

QuimS
Apprentice
Apprentice

if arlo cameras work very well.
Minus the prices that are somewhat expensive for the service.
but the 2 doorbells tested: avd1001 + 2001 do not work well with either homebase or wifi, and the homebase with the doorbell has very little range.

FroginaBlender
Initiate
Initiate

I too am very frustrated that I purchased the doorbell and hub together and now find that I cannot use the hub to record locally. Had I known this I would not have outlaid for the more expensive system. How long do I "keep an eye on the community for announcements and updates? I have found threads that go back to early 2020 in which the promise of updated firmware to fix this issue was mentioned.

lpasquie
Aspirant
Aspirant
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AVD2001 Base Station/SmartHub support is now available with the latest AVD2001 firmware update. Make sure your Arlo Essential Wireless Video Doorbell is using the latest firmware version and you will now be able to sync directly to your Base Station/SmartHub.

Compatible Base Stations/SmartHub models include: VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540 and VMB5000

Please note that HomeKit integration is not yet available for AVD2001. Now that Base Station support is available, we plan to add HomeKit integration early next year. Stay tuned for updates.

JamesC

ivass
Aspirant
Aspirant
I connect my avd2001 to the vmb4000 but it still does not record motion triggered videos like the other cameras. Can you help.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have a current subscription? Cloud recordings require that. Check Settings, Subscription.

antita
Tutor
Tutor

Cloud recordings are not the issue - I want local recordings on my hub, like from my other Arlo cameras

antita
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue - since the latest update I can now connect the doorbell to the hub, but it still doesn't create any recordings

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd start by rebooting the base and reinserting the doorbell battery. If no good, remove the doorbell from Settings, My Devices and resync it to the base.

antita
Tutor
Tutor

tried that - rebooting the base made it forget the association with the doorbell and I had to re-associate it. Removing the doorbell battery is an intrinsic part of the process of moving it from wifi to the hub, so again, this doesn't help

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Rebooting the base does not cause the system to forget that the doorbell is connected to the base. If it does, you need to remove and resync it again. Worse case, you may need to reset the whole system.

antita
Tutor
Tutor

I can only report what actually happened - rebooting the hub did cause it to lose the connection and I had to re-associate. Have to admit i haven't tried rebooting again since, so I will give that a go over the next couple of days

ivass
Aspirant
Aspirant

I rebooted the base station and the door bell. No effect. Still no offline recordings from the door bell. Please help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

antita, ivass

Note that depending on the model of your base station, to view locally stored content, you will need to eject the storage device and view using a PC.

What model base station are you using?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation