Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

2nd generation doorbell

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
splinternet
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is the 2nd generation wireless doorbell worth getting? I didn't see it for sale on Arlo's UK site. I also saw in a post somewhere that the motion range is only 3m compared to the 1st gen's 5m. Has anyone experienced the 2nd gen?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
"It depends." (TM) I prefer the original wireless doorbell since I can change batteries rather than having to bring the doorbell indoors for charging. Whether that's a big deal for you is up to you. As for the detection range, I suspect that's due to the older doorbells needing to set up activity zones as well as reducing motion detection settings so passing cars, etc. don't get recorded. You can't adjust the positioning of the doorbell like you can the other cameras to eliminate the street scene.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
"It depends." (TM) I prefer the original wireless doorbell since I can change batteries rather than having to bring the doorbell indoors for charging. Whether that's a big deal for you is up to you. As for the detection range, I suspect that's due to the older doorbells needing to set up activity zones as well as reducing motion detection settings so passing cars, etc. don't get recorded. You can't adjust the positioning of the doorbell like you can the other cameras to eliminate the street scene.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:
As for the detection range, I suspect that's due to the older doorbells needing to set up activity zones as well as reducing motion detection settings so passing cars, etc. don't get recorded. 

Not sure what Arlo was intending. 

But a longer motion detection range can be a bad thing, especially with a doorbell camera which cannot be aimed.  Even with activity zones you will end up with a much faster battery drain.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation