Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JamesLR
Follower
Follower

Hi,

I have a 24VAC 1A power powering my new 2K Video doorbell. Now my doorbell is in a high traffic area with lots of events which is what i need. I had the previous video doorbell (hardwired only) and had no issues with battery as it didn't have one. Now with this tech where it uses battery and trickle charge, my battery is draining and will probably mean i need to charge it via USB. Super annoyed as it doesn't fit my purpose. Will purchasing say a 24VAC 2A make much of a difference? Wish the new doorbell was hardwire option only. What if i purchased continuous recording? would charge sufficiently? 

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As I understand it, the E2 doorbell will always use the battery and the wired connection is just to trickle charge it. That means lots of recording will likely drain the battery as you have experienced. A higher capacity transformer probably won't help since it's the doorbell that determines the current draw.

FWIW, the hardwired-only doorbell does have a small battery to deal with periods of high current draw. It, too, can be drained, leaving the doorbell to be inop until the battery recharges some.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesLR wrote:

Now with this tech where it uses battery and trickle charge, my battery is draining and will probably mean i need to charge it via USB.  

Wait and see.

My understanding is that the Gen 2 doorbells don't start charging until the battery drops below a threshold (unfortunately I don't recall what that threshold is).

I think that strategy is intended to give the longest battery life.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I asked @JamesC to clarify that recently and he responded that the trickle charge starts when the battery drops to 65% and stops when the charge reaches 80%.

ZM1901
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had the previous model wired only and never had an issue and my area was very high traffic 

ZM1901
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would a higher capacity power supply fix the issue when it's within the threshold? I read somewhere that it only charges when it's 'asleep' and within the threshold. What does that even mean? When there is no activity? what if the area is high traffic? It doesn't change at all even though the charge symbol is visible? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ZM1901 wrote:

Would a higher capacity power supply fix the issue when it's within the threshold?

The doorbell should charge back up to 80% after the battery level drops below 65%.

Changing out the power supply won't change that.  This is just how this doorbell model manages the battery.  Charging all the time can reduce the lifetime of the battery.

ZM1901
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks, i understand that. My problem is that i can't get the charge back up to above 65% . In fact it completely depletes overnight so not charging fast enough. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ZM1901 wrote:

My problem is that i can't get the charge back up to above 65% . In fact it completely depletes overnight so not charging fast enough. 

Can you measure the voltage (and perhaps the current) at the doorbell?

Are you ever seeing the doorbell charge?

ZM1901
Aspirant
Aspirant

So an update...

I actually purchased a new 24VAC 2A power supply, tested it which was fine and the trickle charge still doesn't charge fast enough. Yes it's a high activity area so those looking to purchase this video doorbell, I would advised against it if you have a high activity area. Complete rubbish