Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Seethelight
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you increase sensitivity past the 100% setting? My doorbell 2nd gen frequently misses a delivery person if they are moving quickly.

Is there a trick to setting the activity (make the area smaller/tall&narrow/far out or where feet are moving)?

Camera more angled or straight at the common walker’s path?

Thanks 

I’ve tried 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Seethelight wrote:

The issue I am having is how does the sensor system address scanned area..

The doorbell uses a passive infrared (PIR) sensor to detect motion - it's not using the video at all.  It is just looking for changes in the IR reaching the sensor.  There is a nice (general) overview of how they work here:

Generally the PIR sensor in Arlo cameras is much better at detecting motion across the field of view than it is at detecting motion directly towards the camera in the field of view.  Not sure if that is the case with the AVD4001, but it could be a factor if the delivery person is moving up a walk in the center of the camera field of view.  

Activity zones are processed in the Arlo cloud, which of course is looking for motion inside the zone in the video.  The sensitivity you set in the rule(s) are only for the PIR sensor - the cloud processing doesn't use them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sensitivty cannot be adjusted beyond 100%. That is the maximum.

You could try setting up activity zones to isolate the area in which you're trying to detect motion.

Take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062938/What-are-Arlo-Activity-Zones-and-how-do-I-create-them-Arlo-Secure-4-0

JamesC

Seethelight
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have set up activity zones .. a refinement to my question …is it better to have the zone smaller or bigger..focus on a typical body rectangle or footfall areas on a walk way.  

The issue I am having is how does the sensor system address scanned area.. smaller=faster,  bigger=more apt to see change.

with the sense range only 9-13 feet we need speed.

i tried using a 5ghz wifi. But it did not seem to recognize it so 2.4 is the default if I am not missing something… faster wifi may not help but I was hoping.

patrick 

Seethelight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks james

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Seethelight wrote:

The issue I am having is how does the sensor system address scanned area..

The doorbell uses a passive infrared (PIR) sensor to detect motion - it's not using the video at all.  It is just looking for changes in the IR reaching the sensor.  There is a nice (general) overview of how they work here:

Generally the PIR sensor in Arlo cameras is much better at detecting motion across the field of view than it is at detecting motion directly towards the camera in the field of view.  Not sure if that is the case with the AVD4001, but it could be a factor if the delivery person is moving up a walk in the center of the camera field of view.  

Activity zones are processed in the Arlo cloud, which of course is looking for motion inside the zone in the video.  The sensitivity you set in the rule(s) are only for the PIR sensor - the cloud processing doesn't use them.

Seethelight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Perfect answer…just what I needed.  Off to make a bigger wedge to see if more angle will help