Mechanical chime only works once with Arlo video doorbell gen2

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
MichaelT90
Aspirant
Aspirant

After going around and around in circles with the chat bot, eventually I get "contact live support!" 12 minutes before it resets and starts the process again .. ive ben trying to get support for over an hour now in total. Please improve this process Arlo 

Ok onto the issue.

We have the video doorbell gen 2, notifies our phones perfectly, but... When we first plug the doorbell in, it chimes, then will do it once more when it's rung, after that to get it to chime again, you have to disconnect and reconnect the doorbell from the wall. 

We have the deta mechanical chime, which doesn't seem to be too clear publishing it's specs but I did find  the transformer is rated at 6v. Obviously not enough.

We want to use the existing chime, and have the option to keep the doorbell charged, so could I please have some assistance to run through the options?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MichaelT90 wrote:

We want to use the existing chime, and have the option to keep the doorbell charged, so could I please have some assistance to run through the options?

I think your only option is to upgrade the transformer.  Check the specs on the chime, and see how much voltage it can handle.

MichaelT90
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen, 

Unfortunately the specs on the deta website are somewhat lacking, with the exception of a friendly description and it's dimensions, this is all it says: 

Features
● Supplied with a black bell push and two bell
push covers (white and black)
● Mains voltage
● Mechanical 2 tone sounder
● White plastic housing
● Easy to see white push button on bell push
● 2-year guarantee
Technical Specification
Supply voltage 230V
Secondary
transformer voltage 6V
Sounder type Mechanical

That sort of tells me if the transformer is only 6v maybe as there are no other specs, they probably cheaped out, and it'd be a risk to push it with a better transformer.

That said if anyone reads this and has the deta branded door chime and has upgraded it, I'd be interested to know more about the process.

Otherwise, considering the price of the door chime (you can pick it up for less than £20)  perhaps I need to explore alternative chimes ...

In which case, the question becomes, is there a recommended/certified list, or could anyone recommend chimes that have worked well? 

Thanks again, 

Michael

MichaelT90
Aspirant
Aspirant

For anyone who needs this information: 

We've replaced the mechanical deta chime with a Byron 776 from Toolstation. It's 7v transformer appears to be enough so it can ring the chime, but the jury is still out as to whether it's trickle charging.