Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DelsoGrace
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just swapped out my AVD1001 (due to ongoing issues) with a new Gen 2 2k doorbell. It's hardwired. I have an old mechanical chime with a small Arlo wireless device installed in it (from the AVD1001). My new doorbell is now installed and working, but do I need to keep that chime device installed in my chime box or can I trash it? I assume the Gen 2 doesn't require it since it didn't come with one. Honestly, I never understood what it did and why it was required to begin with.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DelsoGrace wrote:

but do I need to keep that chime device installed in my chime box or can I trash it? 

You should remove the power kit.

@DelsoGrace wrote:

Honestly, I never understood what it did and why it was required to begin with.

A traditional doorbell is a simple switch.  Power flows briefly through the chime when you press it, otherwise there is no power flowing at all.

The AVD1001 is always using some power from the transformer, and that power also is flowing through the chime.  While that might be ok for some chimes, traditional chimes were not designed to have power flowing through them all the time.  Some buzz or spontaneously ring, others might overheat.

The purpose of the power kit is to divert the normal power used by the AVD1001 around the chime, while still allowing power to flow through the chime when the doorbell is pressed.  So the combination of the AVD1001 + power kit acts exactly like a traditional doorbell as far as the chime is concerned.

The AVD2001 and the new AVD4001 Gen 2 doorbells are designed to run off their battery, and not directly from the transformer power.  They just trickle-charge their batteries using the transformer.  That doesn't require as much power as the AVD1001, so they don't need the power kit.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DelsoGrace wrote:

but do I need to keep that chime device installed in my chime box or can I trash it? 

You should remove the power kit.

@DelsoGrace wrote:

Honestly, I never understood what it did and why it was required to begin with.

A traditional doorbell is a simple switch.  Power flows briefly through the chime when you press it, otherwise there is no power flowing at all.

The AVD1001 is always using some power from the transformer, and that power also is flowing through the chime.  While that might be ok for some chimes, traditional chimes were not designed to have power flowing through them all the time.  Some buzz or spontaneously ring, others might overheat.

The purpose of the power kit is to divert the normal power used by the AVD1001 around the chime, while still allowing power to flow through the chime when the doorbell is pressed.  So the combination of the AVD1001 + power kit acts exactly like a traditional doorbell as far as the chime is concerned.

The AVD2001 and the new AVD4001 Gen 2 doorbells are designed to run off their battery, and not directly from the transformer power.  They just trickle-charge their batteries using the transformer.  That doesn't require as much power as the AVD1001, so they don't need the power kit.

DelsoGrace
Aspirant
Aspirant

Makes perfect sense - thank you!