Base Station VMB5000 and New App without Library

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mmaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not subscribe to cloud service and was totally happy with the features provided by my local storage.  Recently I upgraded my doorbell camera to the latest Arlo doorbell camera and was required to install the latest app.  It appears that by doing that, I lost:

1. The ability to record video for my new doorbell camera

2.  Unable it turn specific cameras on and off

3.  Unable to turn features on and off such as microphone, light...  - There is no general 
"Settings" tab

4.  The new "feed" tab replaces Library, but shows no video.  Instead, one has to go through several steps to get the videos from the base station settings.

Is this normal?  If so, Arlo has basically made the hub and local storage option worthless.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This FAQ should get you started but check out the others in the support section here, too:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

1) Arm Away should have a rule already for your doorbell but you'll need to edit the other modes and add appropriate rules to them.

2) For most cameras (but not doorbells) you can turn them off in the camera's settings. Otherwise, go to your current mode, edit the camera rule and turn off motion detection. Turn it back on when ready - you don't lose any settings by doing this.

3) Edit the camera settings and then the Default Mode Settings. To be more granular if different modes need different settings, edit the camera rule in the proper mode and use Add An Action, Customize Device.

4) You've found the proper place to view local recordings. It would be nice to be able to select the base/hub in Feed but that's not it's programmed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mmaz wrote:

The ability to record video for my new doorbell camera

Is this a gen 2 doorbell?

Those can only be connected to your home wifi.  Arlo says they will have hub support, and then local recording for Gen 2 should be available.

mmaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, the doorbell is a Gen 2.  I do have it connected through wifi.  I truly hope that Arlo provides the ability to record from the doorbell to local storage soon.  Otherwise it looks like they are driving (forcing) users into their subscription plan.