Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"Allegedly compatible" outdoor Ultra cables discharge camera and shut down?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Greetings, I am using several "allegedly compatible" outdoor Ultra AC-USB charging cords. However, several them will charge up to 100% and look stable for days, but then will start discharging for no reason and eventually shut the camera down due to zero charge, even though the camera is still connected to power and showing the proper charge symbol. This will happen even if there is no motion activity or live viewing.
What is it that makes this happen - anyone really know why? All cameras have newer batteries, strong signals with the Arlo hubs and otherwise operate properly. Thanks for constructive advice.

2 REPLIES 2
Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Obviously with modern firmware, not just when it comes to these cameras but also in other electronics, manufacturers can tell if you're using original or non-original accessories. I don't know if any measures are implemented in Arlo systems to stop users from using 'compatible', i.e. non-original, accessories. I doubt that that's the case, but you'll never find out.

I think for a system that costs so much money and taking into account what I said above, I would want to use original accessories to avoid warranty being void and also not to end up with a huge bill to pay, either to fix or to buy new products. With older electronics it's fine, but with newer more expensive and sophisticated (firmware implementation), I'd think twice. (I don't work for Arlo, by the way.)

So, with my Arlo HD, I used rechargeable batteries, not just because of the cost, but, more importantly, because of the impact on the environment. However, Arlo HD cost me £150 (reduced to clear) at the time and so it didn't matter that much. With Arlo Ultra being more expensive, I spent a bit extra to get Arlo branded accessories. And, you often get promos on Amazon, so, for example, an Arlo solar panel cost me only £35.

You mentioned 'several', suggesting that some are working fine and others aren't. It's therefore possible that you have a faulty cable - have you swapped cables round to check? 

HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have swapped the cables around and the issue seems to follow certain cameras. Since doing this I've discovered the subtle hardware and firmware differences of the same Ultra cameras. I have many Ultra cameras that have worked flawlessly with aftermarket charging cables. You're right about one thing for sure, I probably never will truly discover the truth. I have purchased 4 new Arlo Outdoor cables and am now waiting for them to arrive. Hopefully the money spent will be worth it. The "only" issue I have is with the charging and discharging on those certain cameras and cables. Thanks
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation