Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

push notifications not working through doze

Discussion stats
  • 40 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Notifications still not working on S10+.  They are still not making it through doze as of this morning, I have to physically wake my phone to get them.  After dealing with support last time it worked flawlessly for near 3 weeks until the 11th so it must be fixable but something changed.

40 REPLIES 40
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LandJS,

The development team is investigating these reports. Try explicitly logging out from the app and then log back in. After the logout and login, is the behavior still the same?

JamesC

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

James C - yes I have logged out and in at least 5 times and rebooted everything multiple times.  Whatever they did the last time I was with support fixed the issue perfectly for 3 weeks until the 11th.  Android doze requires that the app disable doze until the notification is sent according to android development team.  They are being sent but can't be received until the phone is physically awaken otherwise.  This will depend on users, those who constantly check their phone won't end up in doze mode often.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LandJS,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information.

JamesC

Simulv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey. Still not working for any of my cameras:( Have deleted the app and downloaded again and logged in once more. Set up the notifications from scratch and all of the settings. No Push notifications after all of this. Have sendt over the files yesterday:) Any news on this part?
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Well even though I have used every other medium over 5 months support tells me they never heard of it and I should put it here so here goes.  When some androids go into sleep mode (mine is a S10+) notifications will not come through until I wake my phone (and get 25 of them) or it goes into a maintenance cycle which is at first 20 min. cycles and if the phone decides that's not needed may be 2 hour cycles.  If you use a computer to disable doze it will work until you restart your phone then do it again or turn on never sleep when plugged in.  Then it all works fine.  Android development gives the instructions to app developers on how to use SDB commands to disable doze while sending notifications.  I've heard the term used a wakelock I believe.  However, for those not looking at their phone all the time the app needs this ability or my Arlo system is useless, I don't want to know in an hour that I've been robbed.  I know some android users say theirs is fine but it's use dependent and provider dependent, Samsung, Pixel etc.  AT&T, Verizon etc.  Over near 6 months I have shown that this is the case and that killing doze through developer options while plugged in works flawlessly.  But I'm not going to program my phone through the computer cmd line each day or walk around plugged in.  Please take this into consideration.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

not even sure how this last one got here, I put it in idea exchange where support told me to go so the engineers would see it

Simulv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any news on this matter? Still not getting Push notifications on iPhone 11pro Max with iOS 13.1.3. Only worked for 3 days. Need update. Have to return the cameras if not:( Too many problems
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Simulv,

Are you using a custom mode or the default "armed" mode? Do both behave the same way?

JamesC

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Arlo tells me it's still a open case, their engineers said they've never heard about it.  Said their a new company now, wonder if anything got passed on.  Samsung had me reset everything 3 times and gave up, said to talk to my provider.  AT&T had me change a bunch of things and they gave up, told me to send it in under warranty.  We'll find out when it get's here but not counting on it, how can changing the hardware have anything to do with it, if it's awake it's perfect, something has to wake it.  On the other hand a factory reset put the maint. cycle back to 20 min so that's the longest I have to wait but as a learning device it keeps spacing that out so it will get longer.

Simulv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, I have tried both «armed» and my own customized. Either way it doesn’t work. And also, it’s giving me notifications beacause of cats via email. Useless.. And now, yet another problem: After playing one of the recordings, it keeps on playing in the background when changing back to homepage:(
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

So here it is.  Got my brand new replacement S10+ from AT&T this morning, got it set up and it still has the same issue with Arlo notifications.  So they took control of my phone for near 2hrs. for testing, there is absolutely no problem with the phone, hardware or software.  Everything is working fine including many other notifications from AT&T, from Samsung and from Google.  They said the issue is the Arlo app and can only be fixed by Arlo.  They also checked with their support dept. and found quite a few people having this issue and it is Arlo, or Arlo together with Samsung that needs to fix it.  Hope the engineers get to read this post.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

So proud of my $2000 state of the art system, it only took 35 mins. for notifications to show up after going in front of and behind my house this morning but hey, their working on it --- and have been for more than 4 months.

Simulv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any updates? Been waiting for several weeks now. The camera system lasted for 2 whole days before stopping to notify me through push notifications. It really should not be that dificult to fix.. Please send out update asap! This is unusable.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Well today it took 47 mins. to get a notification for my driveway but that would be the new android OS.  Maint. cycles start 20 min. intervals and notifications come through, then android decides you only need 30 min. cycles and then you only need 1 hr. cycles.  But it is still the inability of the Arlo app to properly work.  What sucks is the android development site gives written instructions on how the properly program the app.  So if Arlo won't even do that, who's to blame and do they really care.  Since this is a advertised feature it constitutes false advertising and I'm seriously considering filing with the AG office on that basis.  Not waiting much longer

Simulv
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any updates?? It’s been over 4 weeks now, since push notifications stopped working! No new info from anyone..
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

No nothing just keep getting they are working on it.  They just updated the app on the 7th, new bells and whistles but same problems.  New features are nice but fix the roblems first this system is nearly a year since release.  There is no excuse for this kind of support and if the system hadn't cost so much it would have already gone in the trash.  As RV'ers security systems come up often and I'm now telling people to run from this system if they have a newer Android.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
I get this aswell open phone and a whole load of notifications come through, S10+
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

One thing about the S10, If you activate developer options, you can turn on never sleep when plugged in.  At least when possible it keeps the phone from going to sleep.  The screen will dim but not go to sleep and things work.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I have an S10 Plus and I don't have these problems that you're describing maybe something in settings you can adjust. Go apps in settings then go to Arlo and make sure you have everything set up right
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Do you let it go to sleep or have it to where movement wakes it because mine has been tested by Samsung 3 times and AT&T tested it for more than a hour checking every setting on the phone and virtually every notification works except for Arlo.  Not just an opinion or if you've researched it, not the on;y one, not to mention I had a brand new phone and AT&T gave me a second one and tested it.  Mine sometimes sits for 1,2,3 hours and AT&T let it go to sleep and duplicated the problem.  Glad yours works for whatever reason.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
My phone is an unlocked phone purchased directly from Samsung it is not subsidized it does not have any bloatware on it not sure if that makes a difference. In settings go to search search for data saver make sure the Arlo app is not in data saver mode. next go to settings again go to apps then go to Arlo make sure you have all the permissions granted there is another option in there that doesn't let Arlo go to sleep even if data saver is on it will not sleep . say try those settings. Remember I'm only trying to help you I wish you the best with this problem and I hope it gets resolved
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Another thing to try go to settings go to apps the three dots on the on the top right hit that go to special access. Next you'll see an option allow app while data saver is on scroll down to Arlo turn it on try that
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Another thing to try go to the bloatware on your phone and disable it all of it stuff runs in the background and sometimes causes problems
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
You can do this by going into settings apps scroll down to the areas with bloatware app click on it and disable it . Just make sure you knowing what your disabling
Discussion stats
  • 40 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation